Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Dilemma: Still being paid from old job

this only happened because they wouldn't extend my dad's contract and implement the new payroll system.

Lolz if i'm guessing right.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:46 AM

cool, thanks for the update!

also, I stumbled across this the other day (I'd read it a long time ago, its old, and prolly lots of people have read it, but its good if you havent)

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/vie...&page_id=2
Old 09-14-2007, 03:12 AM

Just leave the moneys where they are now, treat them as savings. Let some time pass, if someone finds out - you can just return the moneys, like "wtf I would not even guess". If not - go to Hawaii or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sooner or later the Bobs will fix the glitch

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] This should have gotten more love the first time.

If anyone in this world is stealing from people, it's multinational companies (at least the ones that are run properly), because they have to -- they're obligated to their stockholders. Well, in America anyway. Until they're purchased by a private equity fund.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 AM

A few years ago the Yankees owed me about 600 dollars for unplayed playoff game tickets. I waited for 3-4 months before I called up asking where my money was. A few weeks later the charges were reversed to my credit card. I week later i received a check for 600. A few weeks later I got another envelope and assumed it was a letter asking for the money back-nope more free cash.I natuarally assumed this was reparations for the Jaret Wright signing. All in all i got 8 checks from them over a 4 month span before they stopped coming. If they ever ask for it back Ill inform them that Im left handed and the checks will probably start rolling in again.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cool, thanks for the update!

also, I stumbled across this the other day (I'd read it a long time ago, its old, and prolly lots of people have read it, but its good if you havent)

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/vie...&page_id=2

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that is a good read
Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 AM

I really don't see how we could possibly give you advice without knowing the name of the company that you worked for and your name as well.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
and then I got standard paperwork through stating a leaving date of the end of April rather than the end of December.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, they are of the opinion that you worked for them four months longer than you actually did? Well then, it looks like the chances of them asking for the money back are pretty much zero now. nh
Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 AM

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE SO DON'T RELY ON IT BUT SEEK YOUR OWN LEGAL ADVICE

but generally under English law:
- a company can reclaim money paid by mistake by suing the recipient for unjust enrichment.
- the recipient would likely have a defence to the company's claim if he had spent it while honestly believing it was his to keep and had changed his spending habits in reliance on having the extra money.
- if the recipient knew all along the money was paid by mistake, such a defence would not be available (as the recipient would not have "changed his position" in good faith). So if the recipient spent the money knowing it was paid by mistake, he would likely remain liable to a claim from the company.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:05 AM

this is probably close to what it is in the US. i mentioned earlier that i had a friend who owed the money after this type of situation. i also had another friend who went on a 3 month internship in college. the company paid him double what they were supposed to. he assumed he misunderstood their salary offer. they unsuccessfully tried to get it back a couple months after his intership ended. this was with a large aerospace company and it was a well paying internship, so it ended up being a difference of like $10,000.