Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Day Trading In Japan

I just read this in a homework assignment and thought it might be of some interest to you guys. I certainly had no idea there were such opportunities:

Some think that day trading in the stock market ended with the bursting of the dot-com bubble. Not in Japan.
Homemaker Yuka Yamamoto got bored watching shows on television. After seeing an ad on TV, she took $2,000 in savings and started day trading stocks using her home computer. Within a year, she turned the initial $2,000 into a cool $1 million and became a celebrity in Japan. She’s a popular speaker and has contributed to several books on day-trading.
She’s not alone.

Discuss.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Day Trading In Japan

Discuss what? That apparently someone is an abnormality to the norm?

I remember a story about someone turning $430 into $3M playing BJ in 1994. That doesn't mean BJ is a profitable endeavour.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read this in a homework assignment and thought it might be of some interest to you guys. I certainly had no idea there were such opportunities:

Some think that day trading in the stock market ended with the bursting of the dot-com bubble. Not in Japan.
Homemaker Yuka Yamamoto got bored watching shows on television. After seeing an ad on TV, she took $2,000 in savings and started day trading stocks using her home computer. Within a year, she turned the initial $2,000 into a cool $1 million and became a celebrity in Japan. She’s a popular speaker and has contributed to several books on day-trading.
She’s not alone.

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Lord.....now Japan?

I would love to see her verified P+L statements from her BD,before believing even 1% of this story.

Most of these stories/info-mercials you see or hear about on TV profess the same thing...spewing non-sense about how to become rich DT'ing.

But in reality they are selling something else ....books,courses,DT brokerage accounts with the bells and whistles software packages,etc

I dont care if they are in Japan,the North Pole ,or wherever.They are just selling you a DREAM.....that they themselves know is just that!

ALOT of people make ALOT of monies off daytraders.Another simple example I have never talked about,is just the extra liquidity they provide in the markets intra-day that the Pro's always exploit,and the majority of these DT'ers dont even know it,getting sucked into trades they MUST liquidate by days end

As I have said before 95%+ go broke from the slippage alone,or are just ground down in fees and commissions

Stephen [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM

If you want to see wild daytrading, look at China.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to see wild daytrading, look at China.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats an under statement [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to see her verified P+L statements from her BD,before believing even 1% of this story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure this was verified long ago, old news.

Jimbo
Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM

with interest rates in japan at 0.5%, it just begs for people to invest in the market. read a year ago that FX day-trading is big there too.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Kind of off topic.... but If you are interested in reading a great book about trading in Japan read Ugly Americans by Ben Mezrich (wrote Bringing Down the House). There are some pretty sick stories about Japanese culture with relation to trading/hedge fund type stuff.