Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Who has seen Sherrybaby? [Spoilers]

I wanted to discuss what I considered to be one of the best cinematic moments I have seen in recent history. I don't know how many people have seen this movie though, so it might be a small discussion. Note: I think everyone should watch this movie. Maybe not ASAP, but definitely worth having a look at.

[non-whited spoilers]
Anyway, what I consider the best sequence I have seen in quite a long time is when she first arrives at her daughter's birthday party. As I watched the entire movie, I had been wondering what sort of traumas from her youth would turn her into the person that she became today. It seemed clear to me that it wasn't just drug use.

So she arrives at the party and from the get go, I see some interesting things. The way she kisses her dad, the way that she craves his attention like a little child herself. It was strange and set off a lot of obvious alarms. This in itself wasn't amazing. However, once they start talking and he starts creepily fondling her, I began to be pretty moved by the scene. And not in a good way.

It was entirely creepy, and yet subtly done. Sure, everyone in the audience knows that he is fondling her and that he did stuff to her as a child. However, it was done in a way where they never come out and say it. It wasn't blatantly hammered into the audience's heads like most movies would do. It was just subtle sleeze that moved me in a bad way.

At that point I realized how brilliant I found the entire scene to be. The kisses, the "daddy look at this" from her, the brother standing around the corner *probably* entirely aware of what was going on (as he *probably* had been in their youth).

All in all, I foudn this to be one of the most brilliant scenes that I have seen in a movie in a really long time. You filmies of the Lounge can call me bush-league if you want, but I was particularly moved both by the on-screen action (badly) and later by the direction of the scene (in a great way).

That is the end of my rant, and I hope that others have seen this and can comment on the scene or my thoughts of the scene.