Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Default 25/50 two straddles - tough turn and river spots w/ low combo draw

25/50 with a straddle that has become mandatory. Villain is definitely a pro, but I'm not sure whether or not he got his roll from poker. He's got a lot of money, the other day he wanted to switch the game to 500/1k O8 (I can't even win at 20/40 so I declined). Relevant history that I have is that he called a raise from me once with 94s when he had a 5k stack and he posted a 100 straddle.

It's fivehanded, and he posts a re-straddle in the cutoff. Folded to me in the first straddle. He doesn't raise too often so I call with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He raises to 600 and I call.

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot 1275

I check, he bets 1k, I call. So far I've seen him check down medium pockets and medium second pairs in this spot, not sure what he'd do with a Jack tho. If he bluffs, he doesn't fire a second barrel unless he picks up outs on the turn.

Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Pot 3275

I check, he bets 2k, I tank for 30 secs or so and ask how much money he has left. I thought he had about 9k more, but he tells me he added to a little under 20k a few hands before. FWIW I was going to shove if he had like 7 or 8, but felt 9 would already be too much.

River 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Pot 7275

I check, he bets 5k, I call

I made the preflop and flop play without much thinking, because everyone was playing real loose and I kind of got caught up in it. I thought 'SC but too low to raise, he doesn't raise much, let's see a cheap flop'. Then I thought '[censored] it it's a SC I call', and then on the flop the aforementioned I probably have to call only once if he has air theory.

In retrospect, I think I should have folded on all three opportunities I got pre and on the flop, so I'm not really interested in discussion unless you disagree with that.

I'm genuinely unsure about the turn. On the river I figured well I called turn, if the deuce is no good, [censored] it. Besides, he made a similar play that I thought was too thin the day before where I missed a straight flush draw and he showed AA when I folded. (no straddles, I raised pre and he reraised to about the same amount)