Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: What are the odds of pocket aces beating pocket aces?

I am still a little confused however I will try to analyze the posts to make sense. I will clarify my questions though. 1 out of X number of hands will you be dealt pocket aces and an opponent will be dealt pocket aces is question one, what is X? Question 2 is 1 out of Y number of hands you will be dealt pocket aces and an opponent will be dealt pocket aces AND one of the two hands will lose because a 4 flush appears by the river, what is Y?

One other thing, why does the number of players at the table effect the answer? Wouldn't it logically be that you get pocket aces 1 out of every 221 hands because of 4/52 * 3/51, therefore the math would continue with 2/50 * 1/49 since you do not know anyone elses cards?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM

The number of players matter because if you have pocket aces against one player, only he could have pocket aces two, but if you had 9 other players any of them could have the aces, so its much more likely.

..that should help the previous posts make more sense.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Strange question. Stranger Answers. I would think that the better question might be Given a ten player hand of hold'em what is the probability that player A will be dealt AA and another player is dealt AA and..........

Now the "and" has to include if other players with KK, 22, 78, etc fold or does everyone play to showdown, Do AA ever fold to a pair on the board, a straight, a possible flush, are any of the players behind on their house payment, is it raining in Spain, etc.

And of course everyone knows that AA never wins.