Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Default First MTT Post - Outplayed by BB or Fundamentally Flawed Play?

Final table of private tourney. 28 started, 3 pay. Series points and bragging rights also at play. My 3rd hand at the table, no previous play with Anti-hero, but I am aware that the better players in the series really admire many facets of his game.

All comments welcome.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1310)
UTG+1 (t1875)
MP1 (t9462)
MP2 (t5530)
MP3 (t2561)
CO (t6287)
Hero (t3485)
SB (t2580)
BB :Anti-hero/ (t5910)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB :Anti-hero/ calls t300.

Flop: (t975) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Anti-hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Anti-hero raises to t1000</font>, Hero calls t500.

Turn: (t2975) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Anti-hero checks, Hero checks.

River: (t2975) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Anti-hero bets t4460 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t7435
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: First MTT Post - Outplayed by BB or Fundamentally Flawed Play?

if u want to call it that, yea, outplayed.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM

But the bet sizing, flop call, and check/fold are OK?

I don't see what I could/should have done differently, but on another site, this hand by the Big Blind was singled out as sort of the brilliant play of the tournament. By implication, my play of the hand was, well, something else.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Don't know about continuation betting that flop but that differs from person to person. You're probably not leading with a king so unless he believes you have a ten, what are you representing? Once you get minraised, you probably need to push or fold. Most likley fold unless you feel both your cards are live. Seems like the check behind on the turn is waving a white flag and he is pushing most safe cards on the river.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:56 PM

What is your intention by calling the flop raise? Surely you'll be folding to a turn bet, or checking as you did, which shows pretty clear weakness. I don't mind folding after the c-bet, there's not much apart from a J that makes you really happy here.

I have to say though this kind of situation makes me want to break something [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Thanks, guys.

In retrospect, I think either 1) checking behind on the flop and folding or pushing the turn or 2) folding to or pushing the check-raise are both better plays. Even with 5:1 pot odds, calling the check-raise was really weak. Apparently, I was the only one watching the hand that didn't realize it at the time.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:11 PM

This river is a bluff a large % of the time. I wouldn't look him up with just two high cards though.