Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Putting the ball out of play

For those not used to watching football, there is a custom usually observed when a player goes down injured and doesn't get up. The team in possession puts the ball out of play, and once the stoppage is over, the other team give them the ball back.

Two questions about this:
1. is this normal in other sports? I suppose it's not really relevant in the major American team sports since there will be another stoppage in 5 seconds anyway. But how about hockey/ice hockey/lacrosse/netball/water polo or whatever other team sports you play or watch? I don't think this happens in rugby, and only occasionally in Gaelic football/hurling, but I don't know about other sports.

2. in the France-Switzerland match today, a French player was injured (I think late in the first half) while Switzerland had possession at the back. Instead of putting it into touch they passed it in their own half for maybe a minute without trying to move it forward. The crowd weren't happy. Is this unsporting? At first I thought this wasn't much different from putting the ball out of play, but in this case Switzerland would be happy with a draw and could wind down the clock a bit without increasing the amount of time added on.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Putting the ball out of play

2. The crowd was just stupid, Henry was already out of the pitch, there was no need to stop the game. I think the swiss were just a little confused about how to proceed.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those not used to watching football, there is a custom usually observed when a player goes down injured and doesn't get up. The team in possession puts the ball out of play, and once the stoppage is over, the other team give them the ball back.

Two questions about this:
1. is this normal in other sports? I suppose it's not really relevant in the major American team sports since there will be another stoppage in 5 seconds anyway. But how about hockey/ice hockey/lacrosse/netball/water polo or whatever other team sports you play or watch? I don't think this happens in rugby, and only occasionally in Gaelic football/hurling, but I don't know about other sports.

2. in the France-Switzerland match today, a French player was injured (I think late in the first half) while Switzerland had possession at the back. Instead of putting it into touch they passed it in their own half for maybe a minute without trying to move it forward. The crowd weren't happy. Is this unsporting? At first I thought this wasn't much different from putting the ball out of play, but in this case Switzerland would be happy with a draw and could wind down the clock a bit without increasing the amount of time added on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell the guy lying to the ground to stop being such a [censored] pussy, and this won't be a problem anymore (you know he's going to sprint back onto the field as soon as he gets off anyway).

1. I think in American sports, the attitude would be that this would be a good time to take advantage of the situation.

2. I don't have a problem with this.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:34 PM

I have seen the same thing happen in high school lacrosse before, with an opposing player going down with an ankle injury and the team in possession tossing the ball out, then the other team giving it back when play started again.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen the same thing happen in high school lacrosse before, with an opposing player going down with an ankle injury and the team in possession tossing the ball out, then the other team giving it back when play started again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. Have you ever seen it with the team with the ball down by 1 with under a minute to go? I doubt they would do it in that situation.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 PM

No, never in that spot. I only saw it once, was a blowout in the third quarter.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 PM

It took me so long to realize you meant soccer when you said "football."
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. Have you ever seen it with the team with the ball down by 1 with under a minute to go? I doubt they would do it in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Guy broke his leg real bad and was screaming and yelling, while all eyes on him, our player picked up the ball and scored. Game.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It happened in England a few years ago, in an FA Cup tie between Arsenal and Sheffield United, I think it was 1-1 with a few minutes to go. I think a Sheffield player got injured, just after Kanu (Arsenal) was brought on as a sub. Seconds later he proceeded to score the winning goal (claiming he never saw the stricken player), and the Sheffield manager of the time, Steve Bruce, ordered his players off the field! Later the Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger offered to replay the game, which was accepted, and was duly comfortably won by Arsenal.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It took me so long to realize you meant soccer when you said "football."

[/ QUOTE ]

HELLO I AM AN IGNORANT AMERICAN AND ALSO DO NOT UNDERSTAND CONTEXT CLUES