Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: DEF
New ENGLAND vs. DET 6 85.71%
Tampa @ PIT 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: I Need to Move Up To Where My Raises Get Respect...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pm'd a couple days ago

http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/44487/

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. My little new mail indicator didn't pop up. Yeah, that's some scary code right there. Programming, unlike poker, is results-oriented, tho, so if it works right who cares how it looks?

[/ QUOTE ]

The poor bastard that has to maintain that pos code. Nothing hurts more than maintaining craptacular code*.

*In theory, I haven't actually looked at the code, I'm just saying.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if it works right who cares how it looks?

[/ QUOTE ]

die pls.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

if it works right who cares how it looks?

[/ QUOTE ]

die pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 PM

Good heavens, buzz, what are you trying to do with that code? If all you want to do is delete backup files that are more than a week old you should be able to use a variant of the find command:

find ~/play/backups -name "backup.[1-2][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9].tgz" -ctime+8 -exec rm {}\;

The command finds all the files in the ~/play/backups directory named backup.date.tgz with YYYYMMDD dates later than 1900 that have not been changed in the last seven days and deletes them.

If you want a command line that finds the files and prompts you for an okay before deleting them then use the ok instead of the exec option like so:

find ~/play/backups -name "backup.[1-2][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9].tgz" -ctime+8 -ok rm {}\;

Using all that code to do the job is scary unless there's something I'm missing.

1) Obtain the gloriously wonderful book called "UNIX Power Tools"
2) Avail yourself of the wisdom contained therein
3) ???
4) Profit

And boz, for that little comment on results vs maintainability may you be sentenced to a week of digging through disorganized, uncommented code trying to find a bug (I made the sentence relatively short because I like you).
Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 PM

coders,

all of you are terrible. the correct solution -- which i posted in buzz's thread in software -- is to use an already-written piece of archiving/backup software.

origami, wtf specifying all the digits in the datestring? wildcards are your friend. good rec on Unix Power Tools tho.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 PM

tyler, that's because using [0-9]* in the expression would not enforce a length of eight digits on the date portion of the file. If you don't care about that then the obvious answer is "backup.[0-9]*.tgz" instead of what I did.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Guys, I have a serious problem. A few years ago my brother and I were in a car crash where Alex thought his 1991 Nissan Sentra could take a 90 degree turn in the rain at 30-35 miles per hour. We ended up hydroplaning (ldo), hitting a bus that was turning, and destroying the car as it went to the side of the road and just got pummelled. Everyone was ok, but I have some lasting side-effects... namely, I cannot drive in the rain.

Now, if the ground is wet and I'm approaching ANYTHING resembling a turn, even just a slight maneuver 10 degrees to the right/left, I totally freak out and slow down. Lately, around a legitimate turn, I apply the brake and most likely turn too hard even going <20 mph. This has caused my car to skid forward and recently do a 180... which further adds to my fear.

Basically, what I need is for someone to seriously teach me how to turn in the rain. How hard do you apply the brake, when to apply the brake (obviously not as I'm turning, which I'm doing now), and how hard to twist the wheel.

Ugh! I suck.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 PM

You're overthinking or driving too fast. There shouldn't be too many turns you will have to make while it is raining that require breaking if you are going the spead limit in the first place. If you can't drive the speedlimit reduce your speed to the speed limit before turning. Use a gentle amount of pressure on the break peddle, it's not a panice stop, just a little more than a break check really.

Yes, I'm a nit. And yet I can say stop being a pussy. Life is good.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, what I need is for someone to seriously teach me how to turn in the rain. How hard do you apply the brake, when to apply the brake (obviously not as I'm turning, which I'm doing now), and how hard to twist the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like driving when it's not raining, except that you should be going a little bit slower, maybe 10% slower (unless you're in the habit of taking corners at 30-35 mph, in which case you have a lot more learning to do). It sounds like the whole problem is in your head. Next time it rains, go find some neighborhood at a not busy time of day and just drive for a while until you get comfortable.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're overthinking

[/ QUOTE ]

qft.

and yeah, the place to brake (if necessary) is *before* the turn. you should be coasting in the turn itself.