Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Ask a Comic Book Store Owner

I'm bored today, so why not?

I currently own two comic stores, and have worked in the field in some capacity since 1992. Before that I was a collector since 1985. If I don't know the answer to your question, it probably isn't worth asking.

And to preemptively answer: Your comic is worthless. Seriously. Unless your comic is in perfect shape and is from before 1974, it is probably best used as a donation to your local library/charity. Seriously. This includes your Spawn #1 and your Death of Superman comic.

So ask away!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Ask a Comic Book Store Owner

How much start up capital did you need to open your first store? and how much can you realisticly pull in per month?

Do you still see younger collectors coming into your store to buy comics or is manga taking over?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:35 PM

Does/will PDF pirating of comic books affect the industry?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much start up capital did you need to open your first store? and how much can you realisticly pull in per month?

[/ QUOTE ]

My situation was unique opening up as I partnered with an existing store and also had a web business where I built inventory before opening. Starting a store from scratch, if you don't have at least $100k you're wasting everyone's time, I'll tell you that. If by "pull in" you mean personal income (as opposed to company revenue) I know guys who earn in the 60-80k range. You'll never get rich in this business, but if you love it, you can make decent money and not be stuck in a cubicle all day (which is why I'm here)

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still see younger collectors coming into your store to buy comics or is manga taking over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! One of the great myths of this business is that kids don't care about comics because of TV/videogames/ipods/whatever. Lots of kids are interested, they just have to find a store and a staff ready to sell them what they want. I give out comics for Halloween every year at home instead of candy, and the kids flip out.

That said, a lot of kids are ALSO getting into manga, which sells very well. I view it all as comics, so as long as they're enjoying themselves, doesn't matter to me if they're buying Spider-Man or Naruto.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:37 PM

whats the profit margin on the typical comic?

whats the most expensive comic book you own and how much is it worth?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does/will PDF pirating of comic books affect the industry?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the million dollar questions facing the industry right now, and I don't know the exact answer myself. Right now, I see the biggest impact in manga sales, as hardcore manga fans tend to be very technologically savvy, and I often hear people say "I downloaded the translated managa a year ago" in reference to a new manga release.

I don't see it destroying the business, though. The biggest problem is that there is no real good interface device for reading a comic that has been scanned, especially in any situation not at home. Do YOU want to take a tablet device hundreds of dollars to the beach/park/bus ride to read a comic you could have bought for $3-$20 and risk it getting destroyed in the process?

The final answer is entirely dependent on the technology available in the future.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the profit margin on the typical comic?

[/ QUOTE ]

This entirely depends on the store and the comic, which is why succeeding in the business can be so tricky. The discount on a comic can be as low as 32% off cover, to as much as 59% off cover. It entirely depends on the amount you order on a monthly basis, what publisher makes the comic, and if you ordered it before or after it was released. (Ordering after release to restock is known as a "reorder")

[ QUOTE ]
whats the most expensive comic book you own and how much is it worth?

[/ QUOTE ]

The most expensive comic (defined as a 32 page booklet with staples) is a 1st printing of the book "Bone" by Jeff Smith that goes for about $100. I've always been a reader first, and value of my comics is completely irrelevant to me. The most valuable comics of the last 20 years are generally early printings of independent books that caught on with the comic crowd. Early Sin City, Bone, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Strangers in Paradise and company are the kind of books I'm talking about.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:03 PM

Just because every thread is worthless without pics...or scans...or whatever [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
defined as a 32 page booklet with staples

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, don't many modern comics have 24 pages and didn't golden age comics have 64?

/nit
Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Is the sale of cards and figures from collectible games the bulk of your profits, or do the comics pull their weight for the most part?