Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: PLO8 tourney 3 handed decision

No, we're fine here. It isn't even smoky even though the canyon is on fire a couple of miles away. I hope you didn't have to evacuate.

I know that the hand was trash, but I had been stealing with impunity just to stay in it. I had probably raised during the game with worse hands. Obviously, this isn't ideal ... but I felt at the time that my opponents were playing too tight and that this was +EV. I still think that the play is right under the circumstances as long as I realize that I need to release if I miss the flop and meet resistance. Which I did.

I fought back from that spot, at 33k, to just shy of the chip lead. I did it with lots of PF aggression. I finished 2nd, and really didn't get a fair fight HU, because the chip leader scooped and knocked out the other opponent. He had about a 3.5 to 1 chip advantage when we started HU. I had about 11 BBs and there wasn't much room to work. Bygones.

I think that the reason why I posted the hand & situation was that the result (had I called) would have been favorable, and I was wondering if there was any justification to call. I try to stay away from results-oriented thinking, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 AM

Follow-up question: Of the last 5 trips around the table at that tourney, how many steals did you attempt from the button, and what was the worst hand you had to show down from either a steal, or as a playback/resteal?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM

I raised 7 times in the 22 hands before that, mostly on button but also once in SB.

There was never a resteal or a playback. Only on this hand did they both make a play, and that was postflop and directly -- no waiting to c/r.

Two hands that I showed during this sequence were A256s and Q662s.

The hands they didn't see were A236, JJ65s, A6JJs, A34Js, KK26, and 2456ds. (I'd like to hear what you think about how the weaker of these hands play 3 handed.)

During those hands, only twice did one of the other players raise PF. In the one case I wasn't involved, and in the other I reraised all in with A239s.

Villains seemed to take a passive approach of waiting for a good hand to counter-attack with. This doesn't feel like the best approach, but I guess it worked: they both attacked on the hand that was the OP. Is this optimal against a more aggressive opponent who is shorter stacked? It doesn't feel like it is.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Two hands that I showed during this sequence were A256s and Q662s.

The hands they didn't see were A236, JJ65s, A6JJs, A34Js, KK26, and 2456ds. (I'd like to hear what you think about how the weaker of these hands play 3 handed.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think all of these hands are reasonably solid pushes 3 way, and you wouldn't consider backing them down. 347T, 3 of 1 suit, is IMO much weaker than any of the above.

Also, did you go for a button limp steal at any point, or do you consider those too low of a payoff? This hand seems like a potential limp stealer or even a fold to me.

[ QUOTE ]

Villains seemed to take a passive approach of waiting for a good hand to counter-attack with. This doesn't feel like the best approach, but I guess it worked: they both attacked on the hand that was the OP. Is this optimal against a more aggressive opponent who is shorter stacked? It doesn't feel like it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. Bears more consideration than I can give it just now.