Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Mile run - how much time can I drop in a month?

If you want to race fast, you need to train fast. Almost all of your workouts should be faster than race pace. Going out and running slow will not make you a better mile runner. Those types of runs have their place in the offseason, but once in season it's time to hit the track for intervals.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those types of runs have their place in the offseason, but once in season it's time to hit the track for intervals.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about for recovery? I'm all for increasing intensity, but how many times a week, and why wouldn't you spend some of the rest of your time gaining volume at low intensity?

Maybe the way to do this is to propose a training plan for peak performance in 28 days rather than talking in generalities?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 AM

Absolutely for recovery days go run some slow miles. I'm not advocating working out seven days a week. I'm saying make your 2-3 workout days a week interval based. The other days go for easy runs or swim or bike or do nothing.

Edit: I'm talking about basically in season training for distances 1600m and under. That's why I didn't say anything about tempo runs.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AFAIK studies show that both aerobic and anaerobic endurance increase more through interval training than distance training

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Links plz?

I was basing my recs based off std track style training. Long runs + short runs = best time at in between run

[/ QUOTE ]

did you ever google tabata protocol?

Intervals are slowly taking over as the preferred method of improving both endurance and speed. And I could even go to the advantages this type of training has as far as weight loss / fat burn go, but its not relevant here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you dense or just like to pretend you're erudite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to be such a flaming [censored]? If you think Im wrong about something or I'm not doing a good job of conveying what I'm trying to say, please let me know. The insults really arent necessary.

At any rate, staticshock pretty much said what I was going to say in response to your childish post.

Here is a link to a Men's Fitness article which does a decent job of summarizing the Tabata protocol

The Secret of Tabata

And a quick excerpt from said article:

[ QUOTE ]
In Tabata's study, the researchers found that guys who used the routine five days a week for six weeks improved their maximum aerobic capacity (a measure of your body's ability to consume oxygen--the more oxygen you can take in, the longer and harder you'll be able to run) by 14%. What's more, it also improved anaerobic capacity (which measures your speed endurance, or the duration you're able to sprint at full effort) by 28%. So the Tabata Protocol is the rare workout that benefits both endurance athletes and sprinters--hard to accomplish. Consider: A study of traditional aerobic training--running at 70% of aerobic capacity for 60 minutes--for the same number of weeks showed an improvement in aerobic capacity of 9.5% and no effect on anaerobic capacity.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is other information out there obviously, this was the first return on the google search.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 AM

So you are saying something like the following: (?)

week #1: 6x200 off 3x400 off 2x800 "active rest" off
week #2: 8x200 off 4x400 off 3x800 "active rest" off
week #3: 8x200 off 5x400 off 3x800 "active rest" off
week #4: 4x400 off 6x200strides off off off race
Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 AM

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. But intervals 3x a week strikes me as pretty intense for a recreational type.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 AM

vulturesrow,

I know whatev quasi-ghey rags you read might pass as "research" in whatever donkotard circles you travel. But I'd like an actual study done instead of whatever drivel you dig up. k thx.

For now you can let the men talk, go tabata outside with Mens Health and Flex or where ever you wanna find your research.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 AM

Heres an idea: Go [censored] yourself.

EDIT:

Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max.

And you can still go [censored] yourself.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heres an idea: Go [censored] yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha Wha Wha.

Let me sum up this situation: I'm Clarkmeister... I post in a forum I never come too since I stalk El Diablo. I take shots at a regular for not reading basic articles about a well known protocol when he asks an entirely different poster for research about the topic. I try to present my advice as very erudite and correct when in fact I've only read a couple basic magazine articles and done some cursory googletarding before. When it is presented to me that 1) I was not being addressed 2) I still don't know WTF I'm talking about but merely parroting some crap article about a protocol that everyone knows about I resort to insults instead of relinquishing my faux expert status.

Go ahead. Insult me again. Edit my post. Tell me to check google. Complain to the other mods. Cry more. Go to another forum you've never posted in before, following El Diablo around and try to show you have a [censored] clue what you're talking about. Wipe the sand from your V. Or just stop being a douche?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 AM

Clark,

Way to copy an article already referenced in the thread. Anything else you want to do to embarrass yourself?