Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: A cheating scenario

Just tell me the next time these dastardly villains are playing like this, I have a secret technique to take care of them.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just tell me the next time these dastardly villains are playing like this, I have a secret technique to take care of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume that this "secret technique" has nothing to do with your avatar.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a powerful strategy to tilt the 'table' by capping every betting round. Do you know why the pros never do this? It's a conspiracy... they know how unbeatable this strategy is, so the top players all agree secretly not to do it.

I feel sorry for you man

[/ QUOTE ]

What a tool. Look, as I read back, I see your point -- and I feel silly for starting this thread -- but I find it inconceivable that people will spew in a 10/20 game like they do in a .10/.20 game or a 1/2 live game. I'm sure that it happens, but I never see it.

Maybe I'm not explaining this clearly enough. In theory, 2 guys get together & decide to have a little fun tilting a table. They have fun with it (and it works) the first time so they come back to try it again. They play like this:

2 players cap the pot every time one or the other has a good starting hand. The other plays along with any 4 cards.

If the flop shows one draw, they cap the betting and make it too expensive to go on.

If they miss and someone leads into them, they check-call flop (pot odds, they made a big pot PF) and fold turn. (This is the part that made me think that it was more than just a couple of rich donks blowing off a few dimes. These guys were capable of laying down hands.)

If there is any chance either of them can win, like if it's a high only board, they will keep putting on the pressure. Out of eight cards, one of them is going to at least hit some of a disconnected board on the flop. (And I never once saw either of them lose a big pot like you would expect.)

They had mixed results in the limited sample that I saw, but made a lot of money from uncontested pots.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Can two players who play every hand, and play them aggressively, expect to have +EV play in LO8 in spite of all the chips that they are splashing around? Is it possible to win by playing this way? Does the knowledge you get from playing together make up for the chips that you would spew?(What I'm really asking is, would it be worth someone's while to try this?)

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a friend sit at a B&M O/8 table and have three people do this. Sitting next to each other they capped the bet pre-flop every time and between them they were winning (it was $1/$2). Granted its a one case scenerio but it is possible. What happened here was that the other players would pay the cap to see the flop, then they would either fold if they missed or stick around and try to beat out the three madmen knowing each street would be capped. Mostly everyone folded on the flop because nobody wanted to race against three players, thus the winning session for those guys.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) Would the maniacs require a third (or fourth) accomplice?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think so. As long as you have two players you can cap each street still getting the same results (making people fold on the flop or race vs 2 people).

[ QUOTE ]
(3) Would people who attempt such a play get cut up against a table of solid players, or is it the solid players that they can best exploit?

[/ QUOTE ] To be honest I'm not sure.

[ QUOTE ]
(4) Besides leaving, what is optimal strategy against this sort of game?

[/ QUOTE ]Voodoo dolls work very well.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 PM

They sound like 2 LAG idiots who enjoy playing shorthanded. This is the commonest type of player there is at 30/60 and above, and with the small player pool in O8, they sometimes end up playing 10/20 (usually no smaller though). I could name like 40 different players from Stars off the top of my head that would fit the description you gave. Believe it or not, some players even spew at...15/30! Not higher than that though; that would be crazzzzzzy, yo.

Apparently, some cheating has gone on at Stars O8 in the recent past, so emailing support with your suspicions can't hurt. IMO it's about 99% likely you were not cheated, FWIW.