Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: HSP: Benyamine vs. Esfandiari

ill admit it seems pretty farfetched and super precise, but id go ahead and trust alaei's judgement on this one. after all he does play in that game, and a lot of what he said is very true
Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM

i wish jamie gold were a part of this lineup so we could watch all these good players pick on the fish who plays every pot
Old 04-14-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason for just calling the last raise rather than going all in was only because he knew where Antonio was at and saw 0 value in ending the hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
If Benyamine knew exactly where Esfandiari was at, there was certianly not 0 value in ending the hand on the turn. Don't you think Esfandiari would have called an all-in re-raise to hit his gut-shot given pot odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling that I should be getting leveled here but I'm not, and life has really just leveled you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Help [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I don't normally post in high stakes NLHE. I'm so confused [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about the possibility of hitting the gutshot and then compare it to AE's pot odds, you will probably figure it out

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right. What I wrote was stupid. However, I still say there is not 0 value in ending the hand on the turn. Since AE did not have pot odds to call, a push wins the pot, whereas a call/check dark gives AE a free shot at winning the pot if he hits his gutshot.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think he was eliciting a call, raise, or fold on the turn? Seemed like he was dark tunnel table talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently DB is good at PLO and really bad at NLH.

Either he 3rd leveled Antonio into re-bluffing and intended to call all re-bluffs with his weak two pair, or he's a bumbling idiot who doesn't realize he holds a weak two pair and is rambling like a drunk tourist with AA.

Anotonio seems to have decided that the talking was fake strength and attempted a re-bluff, but his small re-raise was pretty ineffective.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] fake sky

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure DA's FTP name = fakesky
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand illustrates the differences between live and online play. Online, when you are faced with a situation you can put an opponent on a range of hands based on his bet amounts and betting history and make a decision based almost entirely on that. You can even post hands on forums like this that show nothing at all but how much was bet and be able to make a pretty clear decision on what you would do in the hand. This is not the case at all live. There are so many factors that could never be put into words that come into play that make discussion about a hand after the fact totally pointless. What happened here was David read Antonio for exactly what he had, thus being the reason for the re-min raise. All of the table chatter was 100% strategic and it EARNED David the extra $70k that Antonio put into the pot. The reason for just calling the last raise rather than going all in was only because he knew where Antonio was at and saw 0 value in ending the hand on the turn. I am very confident that David was calling any river regardless of what it was, even an ace. As for Antonio, he really got lost in the hand. You could tell that David really got into his head and Antonio was convinced he was getting re-bluffed and decided to take a line that made absolutely no sense in hopes that David would just throw it away. Say what you will about David's NL game, but he is a fantastic poker player and played this hand to absolute perfection.

DA

[/ QUOTE ]

This is entirely WRONG and makes little sense. I think it was pretty obvious that DB was nervous, they showed close ups of him shaking and he probably wasn't sure where he stood. But with such a small re-raise into that pot and given his opponent he called. I think Antonio should have shoved that turn if he was going to make a play, instead of that mini-re-raise. If DB has a flush draw or a straight draw like JT, then he is going to have the odds to call that baby raise
Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 PM

Interestingly, there was an episode of Poker After Dark a month or two ago where Doyle was talking about this hand with a couple of people, he went through the hand completely, except he made it sound like DB said "well if you have aces up you have me" at some point, which I didn't catch, but anyway the general chatter at that table was just on how Benyamine is such a calling station in NL but can somehow make insane laydowns getting 20 to 1 in limit games. The general vibe there was that it was a bad play by DB, but I think they also got some of the action of the hand wrong possible, or didn't factor in the minbets.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:56 PM

I am really surprised by some of the replies in this thread. If your David, what do you put Antonio on? What do you put him on if he moved in on that river? Surely he wouldn't play a draw like that on the turn. For Antonio to raise David's really strong initial turn overbet he has either air or a very powerful hand, and by the way things went on the turn I would say the latter is very unlikely. Live high stakes poker is much much more about feel than just math and numbers. Replaying this hand by just bet amounts would be doing it a great injustice. I am almost positive that the "shaking" David may have done after Antonio's final raise was put on in hopes Antonio would make that last bet. David was never folding...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:07 PM

so DA are u saying u feel antonio played this hand pretty transparently? cuz that rambling that DB was doing about antonio always beating him sounding like times when Antonio coolered DB which seems to me as though it just makes DB seem more calling station like as hes admitting well u always seem to have me beat but here goes
Old 04-15-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am really surprised by some of the replies in this thread. If your David, what do you put Antonio on? What do you put him on if he moved in on that river? Surely he wouldn't play a draw like that on the turn. For Antonio to raise David's really strong initial turn overbet he has either air or a very powerful hand, and by the way things went on the turn I would say the latter is very unlikely. Live high stakes poker is much much more about feel than just math and numbers. Replaying this hand by just bet amounts would be doing it a great injustice. I am almost positive that the "shaking" David may have done after Antonio's final raise was put on in hopes Antonio would make that last bet. David was never folding...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree David did not play this hand like the fool some are suggesting he is. I sensed some real mastery on his part in this hand, including his annoying chatter which probably should have been read as strength. But I am still curious about his call/check dark on the turn since as the cards played all that did was give AE a free shot at his gutshot.