Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Fantastic Lies you\'ve heard from live players.

[ QUOTE ]
i play a lot in AC and I can't tell you the number of people who claim to have played w/ phil ivey when he was younger. i sometimes believe the tales from the old guys who have been playing at the trop for a long time, but i'm 26 and i hear people younger than me perpetuate this ridiculous farce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, there is this one drunk, douchebag of an angle shooter that plays at Commerce sometimes in the $9-18. He always claims to be the cousin of Phil Ivey and how Ivey takes care of him and this and that. Despite perpetually begging to be staked.

If I was Ivey and this idiot was my cousin, I'd give him $100 and tell him to never talk to me again.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM

I used to play alot of 6/12 about 2 years ago but since then I have moved to 30/60 this one guy I used play the 6/12 with always comes up to me to tell me how much he is up for the month online its always 20k-40k for the month. I ask him to jump in the 30/60 and he says no I play live for fun and goes back to the 6/12 which is funny he only plays live for fun where he puts in like 50hr a week live.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 PM

I usually believe most things people tell me at the table. I just don't see why anyone would lie about having met a pro or winning a jackpot. It's not impressive, and doesn't really make them look good.

The only thing I am skeptical of is when people claim to make tons of money playing poker.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:02 PM

I'm playing in a tournament at the Bike last summer. A guy at the table is wearing a black knit skullcap with a red Air Jordan logo, and matching baseball batting gloves. He keeps the gloves on the table, then puts them on when he's in a hand. He doesn't fasten the little velcro strap on the back of the wrist, so the little red AJ logos flap all over the place.

Finally someone asks what's his deal. He says he's sponsored by Michael Jordan... to play $200 tournaments... and wear batting gloves while playing cards... in the middle of summer
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 PM

if not biggest, the one I hear the most....
q: So how are you doing?
a:"Im up a little"

lol.. at the jordan story... i wonder if he loses as much as MJ does?

and the wittiest comeback I've made at the tables to a drunken ahole... villain "do you know how bad your odds are to win this hand?" hero: "no, but I know they are better than me not beating your ass after this game if you dont shut up" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 PM

Default I played with Phil Ivey in AC

I am about 4 years older than you, and i played with Phil Ivey in an either 10-20 or 15-30 stud game at the Trop back in 1999. At that time he was playing lower limits during the week and 50-100 or 75-150 stud at the taj on weekends. I also played with Daniel Negreanu and Hon Le at a final table of a $100 rebuy tournament at the trop back then. This is back before these guys went into the stratosphere.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 PM

Man, you would not believe the number of times I've quietly mucked Jacks at showdown.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 PM

I love it when people claim to have cards I folded. Not an outrageous story, but you know he put his foot in his mouth and thinks he got away with it.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 PM

At every dispute in the history of Binion's Horseshoe, the party who lost the ruling would invariably threaten the floorman by brandishing the fact that they know Jack or Benny.

It's funny to hear $3-6 players talk about how tight they are with Steve Wynn.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About 3 years ago at a $4-8 game at Commerce, an old guy was talking politics. Standard anti George Bush bs which I was rapidly debunking. I guess I was pretty disrespectful to the old guy. Really, I don't much care for old people that haven't figured out how not to be dumb and ignorant after living 70-80 years. So I guess he had enough of this piped in with how he grew up in Texas and knew the Bush family and knew they were evil and were in conspiracy with everything and everyone. I told him he was full of crap. He told me that he knew them personally and that I had no clue who I was messing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be a lie - Bush is too much of a dumbf*ck to be really "evil".

AB