Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Notary Advice needed. Please help.

Hi OOT,
I have a friend who is filing some form and needs some documents to be notarized. one of the document is passport and another one is some supporting documents. Total number of pages for the documents is like 10.

The going rate of what i know (and what my friend found out) is like 10$/page. That comes out like 100$ just for supporting documentation. CRAZY $$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question: Does anyone know of any place/chain that does notary not based on number of signatures (ie number of pages) but just for document type. like 10$ for passport, 10$ for driving license whatever.

Thanks for your help guys. I feel bad for the guy because 100$ for these kinda stuff does seem a lot and asked for advice from me.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Notary Advice needed. Please help.

That sounds like highway robbery. Most drug stores have a notary and I think the norm is about a buck a page...maybe 2 if they wanna make a killing. 10 is just over the top.

FedEx Kinkos does it but I have no idea what they charge.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Wachovia does free notarization for account-holders. His bank might be similar. Hell, opening a free checking acct at Wachovia would be worth it to save $100.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Thanks hamsamich. i will check into it. to put things into context, some items seem more expensive than others. I had to file a very important document last month and it required color copies of every page of the passport (about 40 pages). kinkos charges 1$/page for color copies. so 40$. if they charged 5$/page, i would still do it (and maybe not even think about it twice!). because thats a very important form and would only have to do it once in life.

however, this notary thing, we need it all the time. 10$ is the going rate at my bank, my company's hr department. So its not like i havent done research. that seems to be the going rate.

Thanks again. i will look into it.

$100 is a rip-off. Do not get things notarized at a "We pay cash for gold" establishment. The price should be much closer to $10.

Kill the notarizer, steal his/her uniform, and do the notarizing for your friend, gratis.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:41 PM

If it's something you need all the time someone at the Company should take the test and become a Notary. It's not that tough and it's very easy for the Company to justify someone doing it.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kill the notarizer, steal his/her uniform, and do the notarizing for your friend, gratis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the laugh. i am having a very stressful day at work but this post made me laugh hard. thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 PM

i got some stuff notarized at kinkos and it was like $1.50/page. they said that was the max they were allowed to charge by law, but this was in ohio.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM

thanks for this thread cause i need notary services soon and had no idea it could be done at kinkos. i was going to search for a courthouse or something.