Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Stud 8 - Nice-sized pot, did I miss some bets?

3rd St. - Should have reraised? Seeing as how live my cards were and I was up against 2 highs?

6th St. - I caught a blank, should I have led this street?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (4.67 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (5.33 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___raises

6th Street - (17.33 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 05-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 - Nice-sized pot, did I miss some bets?

On 3rd street I could be persuaded either way although reraising is probably correct since you likely have >33% equity here.

On 6th, there's no way I bet out. 5th just got capped after you paired you door card and they don't care. It's pretty unlikely they think the K helped you. There's only one card left to come and you'll have to fold a lot of rivers. Catching two pair probably isn't good enough to win here.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:00 PM

A 3rd street raise would be great IF it didn't eliminate anyone.

However if the players are competent I would expect the Q to 3-bet and the J to fold, which is a big loss.

Also incidentally your hand is not very live with a 5 and a 2 out.

And no value in leading out 6th as Alchemist said.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However if the players are competent I would expect the Q to 3-bet and the J to fold, which is a big loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted they're not totally live, but seeing as how I was against 2 obv. highs, any A,2,5,7,8 gives me a 4-card low going up against what could only improve to a 3-card low (but fairly certain, they have high pocket pairs).

And pairing wouldn't be completely awful as I don't think they hold any of my cards which could possibly allow me to back into a high.

Is this bad thinking on my part?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted they're not totally live, but seeing as how I was against 2 obv. highs, any A,2,5,7,8 gives me a 4-card low going up against what could only improve to a 3-card low (but fairly certain, they have high pocket pairs).

And pairing wouldn't be completely awful as I don't think they hold any of my cards which could possibly allow me to back into a high.

Is this bad thinking on my part?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're right, it's a great spot to be against two high hands.

I was just pointing out that your hand is not really that live, as I think you said in your original post.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 PM

I like calling 3rd, then jamming 4th and 5th. If diamonds weren't so dead I'd definitely like re-raising 3rd. I'd also want at least one bet going in on 6th.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like calling 3rd, then jamming 4th and 5th. If diamonds weren't so dead I'd definitely like re-raising 3rd. I'd also want at least one bet going in on 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I failed to even notice the diamonds during the play of the hand. Bad 7n7, bad 7n7.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Another nice thing about waiting until fourth to start jamming (other than slowing down when you catch the 9s) is that more not you'll have the best relative position, and a chance to let the J call 2 bets one at a time.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 AM

I might raise third, but I'd play it about the same.