Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

thremp/cbloom-- in logs like this do u normally just list the total weight--i.e. 30+30+bar(45)= 105x3x5

also do u guys recommend any good stretch exercises to loosen up ones upper thighs..mainly the front part of them? or is riding the stationary bike etc for a couple of minutes just as good as stretching?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thremp/cbloom-- in logs like this do u normally just list the total weight--i.e. 30+30+bar(45)= 105x3x5

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard form is (weight)x(sets)x(reps) ; don't do weird notation like me.

[ QUOTE ]

also do u guys recommend any good stretch exercises to loosen up ones upper thighs..mainly the front part of them? or is riding the stationary bike etc for a couple of minutes just as good as stretching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normal quad stretch should do that, the one where you grab your foot and pull it to your butt. You should probably read on the web about stretching.

BTW you should NOT really do hard stretching before lifting, you should do some light stretching and warm up the muscles. You can do hard stretching at a totally different time, on off days or at night or something. Also "hard" not = straining, you should never strain or bounce when stretching, you just want to gently pull your stretch.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, think it was part 1 of that series. Just disregard that post.

Charlie, heres a google image of a box squat. That's an arched back.

rounded back

[/ QUOTE ]

i hav about that much lean in my squat..but was worried it was too much.

In the DJ video someone posted he says raise your chin up, puff out yr chest and then push out yr ass like yr trying to touch a wall a foot or two behind u.

i also went waaay lower that the dude with the box..though maybe its just cuz the box is there. Is my ass actually supposed to touch cuz it basically was.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Second photo is whack. Hips rise and he leans over to compensate... Def not something you wanna do with the bar unloaded. Also why West Side has guys doing really heavy good mornings.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Search my posts in this forum. I give a link to a t-nation article on hardcore stretching.

EDIT: Hamstring flexibility is important for ass to grass squatting. If you're tight, it will make your back round at the bottom, it just pulls your butt under you without you even knowing it.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Search my posts in this forum. I give a link to a t-nation article on hardcore stretching.

EDIT: Hamstring flexibility is important for ass to grass squatting. If you're tight, it will make your back round at the bottom, it just pulls your butt under you without you even knowing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I recently discovered. It really sucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Women really have it made for weight training - naturally good flexibility means their form comes along so much quicker.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:51 PM

4/15 Rippetoe B

Front Squat 25 = 95x3x5
Pendlay Row 25 = 95x3x5
Pullups 9,5,4

Doh, should've done 30's a side on the squat but read my log wrong. Squat felt bad anyway, hammies were really tight and it was making me round my back bad, which makes the weight fall off the front in the front squat which is a big disaster.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM

4/18 Rippetoe A

Front Squat 30 = 105x3x5
Bench 47.5 = 140x3x5
DeadLift 80 = 205x1x5

Felt strong today. Took a sudafed in the morning and it had me bouncing off the walls, the hardest thing was making myself take a full rest.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 PM

4/20 Rippetoe B

Front Squat 35 = 115x3x5
Pendlay Row 30 = 105x3x5
Pullups 5,5

Gonna do 32.5 a side on the row next time. Booze and women are holding me back so much...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:37 AM

Holy crap. I've been putting off lifting mostly because I don't know how to lift so I've been just trying to get exercise like walking on the golf course. I was hoping to lift when I got back to vegas because I have a friend who knows his way around the gym.

Starting Strength seems like the perfect book for me to get so I can start lifting without someone having to babysit me. In the past I would work out with someone who knew all the exercises and I just did what they did. I guess this is a must buy for me.

So basically, this book teaches beginners who want to make strength gains how to lift correctly and efficiently?

Edit: I can't believe I passed over this thread!