Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah...this thread reminds me of this story i heard somewhere (details may be off so no flaming!)
Apparently, ivey was golfing with Chip Reese (?) and was around 75 yrds from the hole when he asked chip, what do you think the odds are that i hit this shot in the hole. Chip said i dunno, 300-1 and ivey replied with, "common, gimme 500-1". Chip agreed and they put down 10k on it. Ivey proceeded to knock it in. Now THATS balla. Ship it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ivey bet 10k or Ivey bet 20 getting 10k if he won?

10k at 500/1 is 5million, I don't see Chip betting that much
Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah...this thread reminds me of this story i heard somewhere (details may be off so no flaming!)
Apparently, ivey was golfing with Chip Reese (?) and was around 75 yrds from the hole when he asked chip, what do you think the odds are that i hit this shot in the hole. Chip said i dunno, 300-1 and ivey replied with, "common, gimme 500-1". Chip agreed and they put down 10k on it. Ivey proceeded to knock it in. Now THATS balla. Ship it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ivey bet 10k or Ivey bet 20 getting 10k if he won?

10k at 500/1 is 5million, I don't see Chip betting that much

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in Bluff magazine it was 150:1 originally but then Phil had to use a pitching wedge and it went to 200:1. The bet was $1,000 and Phil won $200,000. Phil said he had taken $11,000 off the unamed player and was just trying to give him back $1,000 to make it an even $10,000. Marc Goodwin witnessed it and confirmed the story.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 AM

This is a really cool thread. I bet if Pavin was a lil less known he could make fortunes hustling ppl w/ the type of game he has. Even if it's just 2 shots I think Ivey has the edge.

A 15-20 handicap playing 2 balls from the red tees (5,395 at TPC@summerlin) should be able to shoot -5 or so I would imagine. I mean that's like 100 yd par 3s, 300 yd par 4s, and 450 yd par 5s. Although of course it's going to come down to whoever plays better.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 AM

but now it's an ugly 211,000. so what did they wager the 11k for?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a really cool thread. I bet if Pavin was a lil less known he could make fortunes hustling ppl w/ the type of game he has. Even if it's just 2 shots I think Ivey has the edge.

A 15-20 handicap playing 2 balls from the red tees (5,395 at TPC@summerlin) should be able to shoot -5 or so I would imagine. I mean that's like 100 yd par 3s, 300 yd par 4s, and 450 yd par 5s. Although of course it's going to come down to whoever plays better.

[/ QUOTE ]

A PGA Tour pro will average much better than -5 on a non tournament course.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but now it's an ugly 211,000. so what did they wager the 11k for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they were playing skins but I'm not positive and i'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the magazine
Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, do any of you guys play golf? More specifically, are you as good as a 15? If it's only 2 balls, there's no way Ivey can beat him straight up, even from the reds. 3 is a little more questionable, but I think you guys are severely overestimating a 15-20 handicapper's ability to hit it close enough for a consistently makeable birdie putt. Even with 3 shots a lot of 15 handicappers are going to be 20 ft from the pin on most holes, at least.

I think people are also underestimating how easy it would be for Pavin on a course like that in non-PGA conditions.

Sweet bet though, I'd love to see it take place.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A PGA Tour pro will average much better than -5 on a non tournament course.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking. IIRC Huck is a pretty good golfer, so I'll go with his read.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, do any of you guys play golf? More specifically, are you as good as a 15? If it's only 2 balls, there's no way Ivey can beat him straight up, even from the reds. 3 is a little more questionable, but I think you guys are severely overestimating a 15-20 handicapper's ability to hit it close enough for a consistently makeable birdie putt. Even with 3 shots a lot of 15 handicappers are going to be 20 ft from the pin on most holes, at least.

I think people are also underestimating how easy it would be for Pavin on a course like that in non-PGA conditions.

Sweet bet though, I'd love to see it take place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% but will go even further and say it will not even be close.

-5? lol, that is just funny.

What makes anyone think a 15-20's second shot is going to be much better then their first? A little, sure...but not much.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:25 AM

Even if Ivey is a 15 handicap AND gets three shots on each 'shot' I would bet it would be very close. BUT the pro wins a majority of the time.

Everyone highly underestimates how difficult golf courses play during tour events. Playing TPC Summerlin is going to be a cake walk for even Corey Pavin.

On average Corey Pavin would probably shoot 67ish while Ivey would probably shoot 72ish.

edit to say just because Dan N thinks Ivey knows how to putt means [censored]. Have you seen him swing in his blogs? I know retarded people I could teach to play golf and beat him left handed.