Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 AM

Default Someone encourage me to finish Navarro\'s book

I'm about 1/2-way through and have hit a wall. Anybody read it and have a few successes through tells (learned from this book) anecdotes?

I guess I've kind of gone into this book with wrong mindset as I've never placed much value in tells (especially at the low to low-mid limits that I play).

I recall reading Caro's book and laughing at the over-exaggeration presented in the example photos. I had hoped that an updated book of tells would at least tone the humor in the pics. down. Doesn't look to be the case.

I realize that the exagerrations are done to help empasize difficult to find tells, but really, if I'm ever at a table where people are staring at me that intently before I bet, I'm at the wrong table [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And yes, I do know that at the higher limits, people watch you more, but they do attempt to be more discreet (no fish likes it when it's obvious he's in the bowl).
Old 12-18-2006, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Someone encourage me to finish Navarro\'s book

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I've kind of gone into this book with wrong mindset as I've never placed much value in tells (especially at the low to low-mid limits that I play).

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why would you buy a book about tells? As long as you have that mind-set, no one can tell you why you should read the book.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then why would you buy a book about tells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because I'm open to changing that mindset? Kind of like a lot of things in life. You have one opinion initially and then do some research on subjects that argue the other side. You know, educate yourself. You then compare said research to original opinion to see if anything has changed (in this case, after reading and experience at the tables).

Sarcasm aside, I do know that tells have value (debatable as to how much though). The text thus far is a little dry to me is really my issue though...chalk it up to laziness [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I see someone else started a thread about Navarro's book, so I'll just defer.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:30 AM

Tells are part of the 'story'. In general, no behavior by itself means all that much, its the changes that matter, and this book helps to interpret some of those changes.

IMO at the lower limits, it is of minimal value. Solid play is the way to go. At medium limits (where I play), its generally of value in most hands.

And no you don't have to stare people down, just keep them in your field of vision and pay attention.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:08 PM

I don't get it...this book is short and a really easy read. You should be able to get through the last half in like an hour.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:41 PM

I bought this book a few weeks ago from the bookstore I work at. I read through it a few times (once at work) and played a home game a few weeks later.

On two occasions, someone with a strong hand did the "lean back+hands behind head" tell, having AQ and KK.

Another person squinted when the flop hit and checked, I bet, they folded.

Later on, a third player saw the flop (AT7) and lowered their brow. Checked around. Turn's a 6. checked around to the river, which was an 8. (Turn and river may not be 100% right, not the point). They bet about 200 into a 500 pot. I had T2, so I called. I won.

Small case sample, but the book works, even in a $5 home game.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought this book a few weeks ago from the bookstore I work at. I read through it a few times (once at work) and played a home game a few weeks later.

On two occasions, someone with a strong hand did the "lean back+hands behind head" tell, having AQ and KK.

Another person squinted when the flop hit and checked, I bet, they folded.

Later on, a third player saw the flop (AT7) and lowered their brow. Checked around. Turn's a 6. checked around to the river, which was an 8. (Turn and river may not be 100% right, not the point). They bet about 200 into a 500 pot. I had T2, so I called. I won.

Small case sample, but the book works, even in a $5 home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I love home games. I'll pick it back up, but will probably need to start over.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 PM

If you really want to get something out of the book, read it and write down all the specific tells mentioned. Next, set your DVR player for about 10-12 hours of poker and then see how many of the tells you can spot. It is amazing how many you can find, even from players who are so called "pros".
Old 12-18-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to get something out of the book, read it and write down all the specific tells mentioned. Next, set your DVR player for about 10-12 hours of poker and then see how many of the tells you can spot. It is amazing how many you can find, even from players who are so called "pros".

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought about doing this just to kind of spice up some of the all-in fests that a lot of tv poker has become. Again, laziness.

I still might though before the next season of HSP is broadcast.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]nh dolly