Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Finance Jobs in toronto

hey everyone,
I was hoping I would be able to get some help with the Toronto job market here. I am currently a senior at a top 50 US university looking for a job in finance. While doing some research online I came across a lot of articles that spoke of the increased demand in Toronto for people into the financial services industry. This, coupled with the fact that my job search isn't really headed anywhere here in the US due to the stringent visa requirements has made me consider concentrating my efforts to jobs in Toronto.
The problem is I don't really know much about the entry level job market there and how the recruiting works in Toronto. I would be looking towards a career in asset management, trading, corporate finance etc. I'm double majoring in economics(econ dept is top 30 US) and telecommunications(top ten US) with a minor in business (B school is also top ten US). I think my resume looks pretty solid with a couple of internships (not in the US) in asset management and corporate finance and a number of different part time jobs at the manager level. My GPA is not all that great however, its hoevring around th e 3.0 mark but is definitely on an upward trend (over the last year or so).
The problem is I really don't know how I stand amongst the general recruiting pool of Canadian graduates. I also don't know if Canadian banks and financial institutions look towards hiring fresh US graduates. Anyone have any experience or information that might be able to help me out? I would greatly appreciate any help and honest opinions. Cheers
Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Finance Jobs in toronto

besides the obvious canadian banks like TD, CIBC and BOM....check out the 'ontario teachers pension fund'....H-U-G-E asset manager that trades everything under the sun.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Finance Jobs in toronto

You'll need to have had an internship in most cases and don't let the GPA dip below 3.0, and you'll definitely land a job at at least one bank in the Toronto area, within no more than two or three months. As someone who knows a lot of recent finance grads in the WNY area, I state the above with a very good deal of confidence. Be sure to get a detailed evaluation from your internship supervisor and use this to highlight your key accomplishments during your interviews. Best of luck.