Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 PM

Default How to get started.... Again.

I have played tons of poker in the last few years. Limit, No-limit, cash, tourney etc. I have won probably $2,000 or so over the last 2-3 years. Up until jan i played only limit cash games and NL tourneys.

At the beginning of July a friend told me to play his bodog account and i took 130 to 300 at 2/4limit. Over the next few weeks i gradually lost it all back to the 130 and stopped. I am sort of annoyed that I feel i lost my understanding of how to play limit successfully.

I have Getting Started In Holdem, Small Stakes Holdem, Holdem for Advanced Players and Internet texas holdem. If i was to start playing .25/.50 Limit again what book should i start with? Out of Stars, UB and Full Tilt, which site would have the best micro limit games?

Thanks for any comments
Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: How to get started.... Again.

[ QUOTE ]
I have Getting Started In Holdem, Small Stakes Holdem, Holdem for Advanced Players and Internet texas holdem. If i was to start playing .25/.50 Limit again what book should i start with?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're really questioning your fundamentals, start with GSIH. Otherwise it's ITH and SSH.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for any comments

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you've met variance.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Hello resboard,

This situation is similar to mine. About two years ago I was playing about 30,000 hands a month and had rolled 50$ -> 1000 playing 1/2. After taking some serious hits to my bankroll, I more or less put the game aside until last month. Anyhow, here is what I did:

1.) Started at the nano-limits and fired up 3 tables at once.

2.) Read through SSH over a week, slowly, while playing at the nanos until I felt confident about my game and every decision made.

3.) Re-read SSH.

So far so good. Post hands you're having trouble with, play within your bankroll-and refine your game at the nano's.

As far as the books go,

Start with Internet Texas Hold'em, then read through SSH.

Good luck sir.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 PM

Well i know some was variance with some big hands getting drawn out on and set over set etc. But it just seemed like my TAG strategy is a little to tight for todays games. I'm going on vacation saturday and i intend to come back ready to start winning (or atleast playing well) again.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:27 PM

wcsherry are you suggestiong that i play lower than $.25/.50? I have a sufficient bankroll for $1/2 but I thought i would start small. Mabye $.10/.20?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well i know some was variance with some big hands getting drawn out on and set over set etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

You have only met variance. I don't think you know him yet. $300 -> $130 at $2/4 is a loss of a little over 40 BB. If this loss scares you, limit hold'em probably isn't for you.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 PM

If you've only got 130$, you're not even properly bankrolled (300BB's) for .25/.50$. It's probably safe to play at that limit, but there's little harm in spending a few thousand hands at the nano's to see if you're making correct decisions in a reasonable amount of time.

Sitting with your entire bankroll at any table is undoubtedly a greivous error in judgement that will likely end up poor in the long run. (Now if I could only follow my own advice...) :P
Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 PM

I guess i should have been more clear. I actually have a bankroll of about 900. Generally i have been playing NL since late feb. My friend had 130 left in his bodog account and said he wasn't going to play for a while and told me to play it. I chose to play 2/4 and take a run. Thats where the 130 came from. Losing the 40BB does not have me scared, and the reason i stopped at the 130 is because i didn't want to lose his money when i was doing bad.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:15 PM

Variance is tah suck.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well i know some was variance with some big hands getting drawn out on and set over set etc. But it just seemed like my TAG strategy is a little to tight for todays games. I'm going on vacation saturday and i intend to come back ready to start winning (or atleast playing well) again.

[/ QUOTE ]

we've had a few posts recently where people say a tag game doesnt cut it. I really dont believe this ... usually it is more of a case of people just not playing as well as they think they are. I actually dont mean to sound critical because I dont know how you play but just be careful about thinking variance is the root cause of losing

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i should have been more clear. I actually have a bankroll of about 900. Generally i have been playing NL since late feb. My friend had 130 left in his bodog account and said he wasn't going to play for a while and told me to play it. I chose to play 2/4 and take a run. Thats where the 130 came from. Losing the 40BB does not have me scared, and the reason i stopped at the 130 is because i didn't want to lose his money when i was doing bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not a great idea to be repeatedly discussing that you are playing someone elses account which (i imagine since i dont play there) likely violates bodogs T&C

where will you play? You might benefit from playing a site where you have easy access to hand histories (isnt bodog kinda crappy in this regard?) so you can analyse your play or get others to analyse your play for you (insert my standard "session reviews are zomg awesome" comment here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

anyway, goodluck and welcome back