Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Buying a % of a buddy at this year\'s WSOP - some questions

I've never done this, so just wanted to clarify a few things.

I'm considering buying a 1/3 of one of my friends in one of the upcoming $1500 WSOP events this summer.

1. The buy-in published includes the juice for WSOP events, correct? $1500 is the total as I don't see any other fees listed anywhere.

2. If the buy-in was something like $1500+$100, does one usually offer to pay 1/3 of the $100 as well?

3. Say he wins the thing, my cut comes from his profit not including the buy-in, correct? Does this include tip? In other words, say he wins $100k, he subtracts out the buy-in, gives me $500 back and then gives me 1/3 of the rest...before or after tip?

4. I assume it's after tax as well if he chooses to withhold at the time of award.

Thanks and my apologies for the newb-like questions!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Buying a % of a buddy at this year\'s WSOP - some questions

[ QUOTE ]
I've never done this, so just wanted to clarify a few things.

I'm considering buying a 1/3 of one of my friends in one of the upcoming $1500 WSOP events this summer.

1. The buy-in published includes the juice for WSOP events, correct? $1500 is the total as I don't see any other fees listed anywhere.

2. If the buy-in was something like $1500+$100, does one usually offer to pay 1/3 of the $100 as well?

3. Say he wins the thing, my cut comes from his profit not including the buy-in, correct? Does this include tip? In other words, say he wins $100k, he subtracts out the buy-in, gives me $500 back and then gives me 1/3 of the rest...before or after tip?

4. I assume it's after tax as well if he chooses to withhold at the time of award.

Thanks and my apologies for the newb-like questions!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am doing something similar this year for the $2,500 event. Here is my take.

1. Yes.

2. The $100 fee would be part of the entry fee, so your percentage on a straight dollar for dollar basis is 500/1600, or 31.25%. Alternatively, you could buy 1/3 of his action for 1/3 of the buy-in, or $533.

3. Split is after tip. If you and your buddy have different views on appropriate tip %, then make sure you agree up-front on how much he should tip.

4. You can get forms from Harrah's that allow you to split the tax burden. I think you need to be physically present, however.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:39 PM

1. Yes

2. I it was $1500 + 100 than you would treat the event as a $1600 buyin and go form there.

3. Split is on whatever he cashes for. If he cashes for $1000 he owes you $333. If he cashes for $2000. He owes you $666 not 1/3 of ($2000-buyin) and he gives you the amount before tip.

4. I don't think he gives you the amount after taxes. He just gives you a 1/3 of gives earnings and you deal with the taxes separately.

I could be wrong but this is how I'd deal with it.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:55 PM

Sooo, 2 completely different answers on 2, 3, and maybe 4.

Anybody want to break the tie? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 AM

He can't give you post-tax $ because it becomes a nightmare for both of you tax-wise if he does (he pays way more than he should/may well be unable to give you that much money because gifts over a certain amount (11-12K) are also taxable.)
Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sooo, 2 completely different answers on 2, 3, and maybe 4.

Anybody want to break the tie? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, Eagles and I agree on #2, and disagree on #3.

I think we are just looking at #4 in different ways. Using the forms to split tax liability is the easiest way, IMHO.