Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Huge odds V.S. reverse domination

Playing in a very loose fairly passvie 3-6 At the Taj in AC. 8 handed 6-7 see a lot of flops. it would be 7-8 except I have been folding most hands ..

reads not to important (for this question) except pre flop raiser very loose and totaly capable of rr to build big pots likes to gamble.

I have AQo

3 players limp I rais 1 player cold calls and the blinds call. 2 first 2 limpers call adn teh 3rd limper makes it 3...I call as do everyone else .....(thought of 4 betting would have if suited)

FLOP 7 players 20 sb (after rake)

T 6 4 rainbow..

6 players check I check and the Player to my left bets every one callls with 26 sb in the pot Easy call??? (figuer I have maybe 2 outs or would you count it as less)..???
Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Huge odds V.S. reverse domination

You cannot be serious ... just go out and have fun and celebrate New Years. Tomorrow you can get your head out of your ass and learn to play poker.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Cap preflop for value.

Easy flop call.

I'd value the hand at about 3 outs.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Okay, now that it is New Years Day - do people agree that your backdoor straight draw alone is enough to call here. Even if you refused to ever showdown your hand if you only made one pair (a non runner runner hand) you would probably make money by peeling here getting at least 40-1 implied.

You are probably 1.5% to make a straight and at least 2% to make two pair or trips.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 players check I check and the Player to my left bets every one callls with 26 sb in the pot Easy call??? (figuer I have maybe 2 outs or would you count it as less)..???

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is fricken huge, you are closing the action facing one bet, and your hand isn't hopeless. Call. On the turn, you will still be getting 16 or 17 to one. If it is one bet to you. Call.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 AM

In this kind of game, why throw gasoline on a fire.
Raising with AQ off seems like a poor play.
Your all-in equity may be good, but the re-raise might
be a hand that dominates you. You did say it was a passive
game

When you build a huge pot with this hand and flop 1 pair,
you will have a great deal of problem laying it down when
you are beat. Worse yet, by building a huge pot, you give
everyone the correct odds to chase their BS when you do
flop your pair. In essence, most chasers will be getting the correct odds for chasing.

Instead, just call preflop and plan to bet or raise to force
people to either fold or make really bad calls. Rasing AQ may gain a fraction of a bet if you are all-in, but waiting until the flop to get aggressive will gain far more, because now these clowns will STILL call with third pair, and they will not be getting the correct odds to call.

This is why raising with JJ UTG in that kind of game is a bad idea. Building a big pot gives overcards (even singleton overcards) better odds for calling.

Beat weak players by giving them more opportunity to make BAD plays. Save PFRing for hands that flop monsters. I'd
MUCH rather raise with 98s or 88 in this kind of game.

In the hand in question, had you simply limped, you could
just muck to that garbage flop with many limpers. Too many bad things can happen. I'd estimate your hand to have 3 outs, and worse than that, you will often catch good and still lose, which is a very bad thing for draws to 6 outs.

In unrasied pots, I think calling with overcards is almost always bad unless the board is VERY thin on draws OR I have some kind of backdoor equity, such as a 3 card nut flush draw.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead, just call preflop and plan to bet or raise to force
people to either fold or make really bad calls. Rasing AQ may gain a fraction of a bet if you are all-in, but waiting until the flop to get aggressive will gain far more, because now these clowns will STILL call with third pair, and they will not be getting the correct odds to call.

This is why raising with JJ UTG in that kind of game is a bad idea. Building a big pot gives overcards (even singleton overcards) better odds for calling.

Beat weak players by giving them more opportunity to make BAD plays. Save PFRing for hands that flop monsters. I'd
MUCH rather raise with 98s or 88 in this kind of game.

In the hand in question, had you simply limped, you could
just muck to that garbage flop with many limpers. Too many bad things can happen. I'd estimate your hand to have 3 outs, and worse than that, you will often catch good and still lose, which is a very bad thing for draws to 6 outs.

In unrasied pots, I think calling with overcards is almost always bad unless the board is VERY thin on draws OR I have some kind of backdoor equity, such as a 3 card nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really bad advice. You should be raising with AQ and JJ in order to build a pot where you have an equity advantage. Sure, sometimes your raising will make some of their questionable plays better, but this is a small con compared to the huge pro of building big pots when you have the best of it. Bad players tend to call too much anyway, in my experience most don't have too much conception of pot odds.

Just my thoughts but I have a feeling this kind of thinking is pretty standard.

Also you have to call that flop. you are closing the betting getting 26 to 1. Sure a Q or an A may not be good but you never know. Don't fold a flop with two overs and a backdoor straight draw getting 26 to 1
Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 AM

i think jims advice here is good for 10-20, 20-40, but my experience with these weak 2-4, 3-6, 4-8 games is along with argy.you cant get rid of any drawing hands and pot odds mean absolutly nothing to these players.push your preflop edges to punish these nits when they dont drawout on you. i.e. aq,ajs, jj, 10-10
Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 AM

ugggg to not raising with AQ in this game. wtf! Also cap for value. Do you really think this guy limped behind 3 limppers with a premium hand? Also this is like the easiest call ever. You are also probably calling the turn unless something crazy happens.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:52 AM

I definitely call this here, and FWIW, PF would be an easy 4-bet if you were suited. I may 4 bet anyway here if you think you have an equity edge. I don't know if I would have the balls to do that in the actual game, but I think it might be correct to do so in retrospect.