Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Someone encourage me to finish Navarro\'s book

There is a lot of fluff in the book compared to info that a person might find useful. I found that I got more out of Navarro's book than the Carro book. Navarro explains where the tells come from, so I think it is easier for a novice to follow. As I said, I think there is some useful information. I would think that for experienced players, who have a basic understanding of tells, there might be less information in it than for those who believe they do not have a basic understanding of tells and what to look for.

I do agree with another poster who said to write or memorize the tells and then watch some TV poker. You will see players exhibit these tells. And I've seen a few of them at my home games.

So I think that the book is useful for some players. It is very easy to read. If you've already gone through half of it, you should just bite the bullet and finish. Even if only to skim to skip the fluff and read closer the parts that cover particular tells.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However, I'm not convinced that this book is essential for anyone's collection. Sure, the more knowledge you have, the better, but this should be a topic visited when you're already a winning player. Again, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a winning player at rather high limits for many people, and I didn't see the urgency within the book at all. Since I read the book months before most of you even heard of it, you should revisit the original thread about the book in the archives when Navaro's writer was in a heated debate with me, its a great thread.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I remember this thread well. I was actually pretty active in it. I recall saying that the antagonist (book's publisher I believe) was hurting his sales by continuing to participate.

I then ran out and bought the book! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Did I prove the theory of "there's no bad press?"
Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Be careful of edited TV shows. The tells you may be reading often are from other hands that have been edited in.

The exception is the live stuff that they put on Fox from time to time.