Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Firefly

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just to let everyone know that the collectors edition DVD of Serenity comes out later this month

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume it's not going to have anything like new episodes :]

I agree that it's criminal that it was cancelled, but I guess if not many people watch it, not many people watch it... No matter how good the show. It's a shame I didn't spot it first time round/live in America, but it's hard to see what anyone can do about it now. There'll be other good TV shows, perhaps Josh whatshisname will make one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Joss Whedon's gonna make any more shows. After what happened to Firefly and Angel why would he even bother?
I sure hope he does, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was Angel compared to Firefly? I just finished watching Firefly and after kind-of-liking the first couple, I really really grew to like the show.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

The first season of angel is good, and the last season is brilliant, the other seasons are hit or miss for people. Personally I enjoyed them, but I know lots of people (fans of the show) who thought they werent that good

If you havent watched Buffy, I would give that a shot before Angel, Besides being a better show it also sets up alot of the characters in angel. If you liked firefly I think you'll prolly like Buffy. The first season of buffy is the worst, but its still good. But the show gets really really good in the second season and from there it just keeps getting better and better. IMO its the best show thats ever been on TV
Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 AM

The story arc spanning seasons 2-3 of Buffy was brilliant.

Later seasons had some great standalone episodes (The Body, Once More with Feeling), but the season long plots were kinda thin.

It was a character driven show, however, so the interpersonal relationships mattered more than the plot.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM

I only wish I hadn't seen 'Dodgeball' before I got into 'Firefly'; because I keep thinking of Wash as 'Steve the pilot'.

"We're going down!"
"Arrr, this sucks."
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just to let everyone know that the collectors edition DVD of Serenity comes out later this month

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume it's not going to have anything like new episodes :]

I agree that it's criminal that it was cancelled, but I guess if not many people watch it, not many people watch it... No matter how good the show. It's a shame I didn't spot it first time round/live in America, but it's hard to see what anyone can do about it now. There'll be other good TV shows, perhaps Josh whatshisname will make one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Joss Whedon's gonna make any more shows. After what happened to Firefly and Angel why would he even bother?
I sure hope he does, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was Angel compared to Firefly? I just finished watching Firefly and after kind-of-liking the first couple, I really really grew to like the show.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think season 1 was that great. Seasons 2 and 3 had some pretty good moments. Season 4 was great, and season 5 was the best complete season I've ever seen on television, culminating with a fantastic final episode.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:45 AM

I only watched the first 4 episodes of Angel and thought it was horrible. Acting, writing, everything just got worse with each episode. Could've gotten better but I didn't give it that chance. I've been told that it gets better as it progresses, though, as posts above seem to indicate. So maybe you would wiki the plot summaries until season 3 or 4.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 PM

I've noticed a bit of a trend of people really into Firefly and maybe Buffy who will not get into Angel. From my point of view those of that mindset are really missing out on some awesome television.

It has strong and weak episodes much like Buffy but with the possible exception of the first season it is generally all strong. I would agree that the final season was really a work of genius, "A Hole in the World" is for me the best Whedon penned episode within any of his TV series.

The thing to realise is that it is in a different vein. Just as Firefly was different to Buffy in style, so is Angel. Angel is fairly adult in content but also is not afraid to try some really silly comedy or a really extreme plot twist or turn.

I would also certainly agree with Alobar that watching Buffy before Angel is fairly essential.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Man, I just watched this show as well. So awesome.

I'm pretty used to this feeling of disappointment by now. Outside of the Office and 24, the only TV I've watched in the last year has been:

Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared and Firefly. All one-and-dones

Also Arrested Development, which I re-watch a lot. That one really made me sad.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Couldn't stand either Angel or Wesley on Buffy, not sure why I'd want to watch a show with them as the main characters.

I'd watch a show based around Spike long before one based around Angel.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:15 PM

Anybody else notice this funny little quirk about firefly?

The girl who plays Kaylee also played Catarina in Space Cases (old old nickelodeon show)

The character she played in both of these shows is almost identical.

Girl genius mechanic.

Except in firefly she's horny and doesn't have rainbow hair.

Figured I'd throw that in there :P
Old 11-01-2007, 01:30 AM

I'll bump this too: "Eliza Dushku Lures Joss Whedon Back to TV!"

Dushku and Whedon are evidently working together again (she was Faith on Buffy), on Fox of all networks, and could be coming out as soon as this spring.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TV...port/700000049