Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/9 - ME Final Table)

This main event will be completely forgettable in the end.

ESPN's final table coverage was piss poor at best.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 AM

Where is Kenny Tran when you need him? This was damn near unwatchable.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 AM

I too was offended by all the praying. But you have to remember, this isn't even really a gambling venture for most of these people at this point. This is a once-in-a-lifetime, make-more-money-than-I-ever-will-be-able-to-at-any-other-point moment.

Jerry Yang wasn't praying to win a gambling contest, per se. He was praying to win $8.25 million, to make his family comfortable and do some charity work he believes in.

He seized the moment, while the other players seized up at the moment. He was a complete afterthought coming into the table, sitting eighth in chips. What did he do? Raise, raise, raise. Raise odd amounts, amounts that "aren't right," put players out of their comfort zone.

The other players, all hanging on for dear life except Hilm, actually started laughing amongst themselves when Yang raised all the time. "This guy's so stupid. Look what he's doing." What he was doing was winning.

Yang is a terrible ambassador for poker, but he deserved to win the tournament.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can ANYONE explain how a rational player could take this blind push approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

since khan was going to fold for 3.5m more after putting 6m in
Old 10-11-2007, 02:43 AM

I had a separate tab open with the PokerNews live coverage of the Final Tables, so I thought I'd compare the hands shown on ESPN with the actual hands.

1. Hand 6
2. Hand 9
3. Hand 14
4. Hand 15
5. Hand 18
6. Hand 21
7. Hand 28
8. Hand 40
9. Hand 42
10. Hand 48
11. Hand 50
12. Hand 55
13. Hand 56

Episode 2
14. Hand 58
15. Hand 60
16. Hand 78
17. Hand 92
18. Hand 95
19. Hand 108
20. Hand 127
21. Hand 129
22. Hand 149
23. Hand 167
24. Hand 169
25. Hand 205

During the last hand Lon said that Lam was "putting the pressure on early," referring to the earliness of the heads-up portion. Actually, it was the 36th heads up hand.

4 handed play lasted a long time, which is why there were such huge gaps in hands.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going back to the coverage. I take it that this was a first in televised WSOP history where only one hand of heads up play was shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the tournament of champions featuring Hellmuth and Matusow (I think it was 2005 TOC) had a heads up portion that lasted over 50 hands. Only one hand was shown, because they spent so much time covering the Hellmuth/Matusow feud.

I think the 2005 heads up portion, they only showed one or two hands between Dannennman and Hachem.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Going back to the coverage. I take it that this was a first in televised WSOP history where only one hand of heads up play was shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the tournament of champions featuring Hellmuth and Matusow (I think it was 2005 TOC) had a heads up portion that lasted over 50 hands. Only one hand was shown, because they spent so much time covering the Hellmuth/Matusow feud.

I think the 2005 heads up portion, they only showed one or two hands between Dannennman and Hachem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both in 2005 and 2004, they showed two hands of heads-up. But those heads-up matches only went seven or eight hands.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yang absolutely raped this final table. I watched it live, and I can tell you the man was raising / re raising every other hand, and was absolutely fearless. He played like a [censored] genius - he KNEW he was one of the worst players at the table, and was WILLING to get all his money in preflop as a slight dog against a better player - because he realized this was his best shot for knocking people out and winning the event.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're giving him way, way, way too much credit. His thought process seemed to go more like this: "If I just keep nagging the Creator of the Universe enough, he will re-shuffle the deck so that I win, whatever I'm all-in with."

Makes sense, since according to many, He has a hard-on for poker, and would rather preside over a poker tournament than, say, try to fix some of the mess causing children to starve and otherwise die in horrendous ways around the globe.

(Yeah, I'm also pretty tilted about this donkey-[censored] houlier-than-thou [censored] winning the Main Event.)
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM

How long did Yang and the other guy play heads up?

ETA-The flags and chanting were retarded.

And Yang looked really creepy kissing that picture. YUCK.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both in 2006 2005 and 2004, they showed two hands of heads-up. But those heads-up matches only went seven or eight hands.

[/ QUOTE ]