Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/17)

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, did Harman play a hand all episode? She's [censored] ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm sure she played plenty of hands that got cut out (even if it's because when she finally enters a pot everyone folds), but also in her defense she wasn't getting anything to play. They didn't always show the cards she was mucking preflop, but she had Elezra and Negreanu on her right, and Farha on her left. What's she supposed to do, 3-bet Elezra's straddle with J3o and hope her image gets her the pot? She's smart to just wait for a decent hand and let the LAGtards at the table spew her some chips.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:28 AM

How do high stakes players make money playing against each other?

Answer: People like Bob Safai.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is todays episode uploaded anywhere yet? [censored] time warner is a terrible piece of [censored] DVR and it claims there was an error trying to record it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's gotta be something with the way GSN is sending the guide info out, because the same problem happens with Comcast DVRs. The episodes aren't being marked as new, and haven't been since the first week. I solved the problem by creating a manual, reccuring recording on GSN from 9-10PM EST. I'm not sure what type of DVR you have, but you should be able to do this.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
^Agreed about Baxter, he seemed to know what he was doing, somewhat, until that hand.

lol txbarbaroosa. I think it was Benyamine that let on that Sammy won something like $15 million in six months playing poker. He's considered a very good Omaha player, I guess that is where he makes his money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was Jennifer Harmon that was talking about how much Sammy won in the big game during HSP3.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 AM

just saw the episode, wow, a lot of action here and i don't mind the loose play as it makes for more entertaining...

man, i was rooting so hard for baxter to hit his straight against hellmuth
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the difference between Farha and the guy at your table is that Farha is a really good reader.

Everyone remembers him getting lucky in HSP 1, what they seem to be forgetting are all the amazing bluffs he made when his opponents bet into him and weren't strong. He won a bunch of $15k pots that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the other players went to school on Sammy watching season 1.

Phil certainly was jovial. Hopefully that changes before the session ends.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Am I the only one thinking Gold didn't play bad? He actually used his donk and bluffer image at his advantage this time. The only part I found bad was when he gave away the trips kings with Eli ("oh [censored], what a bad card....wait, I'm gonna bet anyway").

(I hate Gold usually)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with the addition of Farha, Negreanu, Gold, Harman and Elezra to the table tonight

[/ QUOTE ]

Farha and Elezra are two of my least favorites on the show. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it just pisses me off to watch someone who has enough money to call $16,000 with K7s. I'm sure most people would rather watch those two slop it around with garbage hands than a couple of nits fold for an hour. I guess I just like something in between...not nitty but not crazy stupid either.

For example, I really like the way Negreanu plays on the show. Esfandiari is another one of my favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on Farha and Elezra. Both hyperaggrodonks imho.. super -EV in this game. Has farha ever CHECKED the flop in the history of the show. Elezra is a major donk preflop. Farha just raises with complete garbage preflop. I wonder how long he'll last this season.. if I recall he busted in quick fashion last time, rebought, lost more, then got up and left.

I still can't figure out where elezra and farha got their money. It sure isn't at NL holdem side games. I have a hard time believing they can be good at any kind of poker game given just how bad they are at NL holdem.

Of course maybe they just play this way on TV. Although Townsend took 2mil from farha live heads up too..

and btw, boo for high stakes not inviting townsend back. Who wants to see that nit Harman play. Get townsend back in there. Ivey too .. and bring back Brad Busto Booth. I want to see him raise bluff allin $300K with someone else's money [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Farha and Elezra are great for TV. How about Eli taking down the decent pot with 10 high? I don't know about Sammy but Eli probably has more $ than anyone else at the table. He owns a bunch of property/stores on the Vegas strip I think. Why is Jen Harman there? Did Negreanu make the producers put her on? They should have Annette15 there, if only she wasn't like 17.

Phil Hellmuth = automatic great TV. Why did he buy insurance when he had Silent Mike drawing to 8 outs? It reminds me of the WSOP event where he finished like 3rd or 4th and ended up losing money cause he bought so much insurance from Ivey.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Well, when the "old school" crowd gets together, I think that it looks more like a home game than it does a serious endeavour to maximize EV. These guys have played each other for years, they are not exactly trying to build their BRs against each other. Finally, why not have a good time when Bob Safai, Jaime Gold, Phil Hellmuth, Eli Elezra, and a host of other donks will give you their $$ anyway.

What's most enjoyable about the show is watching the old school crowd have a good time and make fun of Jaime Gold and Phil Hellmuth. There is something satisfying about watching a tight, friendly unit share countless laughs at that "one guy" who says ridiculous [censored]. It may remind you of the good old days when you were amongst your friends, relaxing, and some new guest would come along and say absurd things and make stupid gestures; you'd all sit there and place your hands over your heads and quietly laugh, waiting until the next morning when you could make inventive curse laden jokes about said guest over omlettes and home fries.

The one thing that caught me off guard was the full minute (or longer) that it took for everyone to figure out what the odds are of a double-ender beating a set with two cards to go. I mean, doesn't the number "25%" just leap out at you? It just shows that live poker really is a different kind of game than online. Saying that "online poker is a lot more math" seems like an understatement.

Barry
Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I find him [Jamie] arrogant, BAD, and thinks himself very clever when he's just plain annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arrogant??? Arrogant????!?!? Have you even read or seen just ONE Jamie interview?? Obviously not.

Bad???!!? Let's say I hold the chip lead at next year's main event for more than half the tournament and am never all-in once...If someone called me bad at poker without even playing a single hand with me, I'd make it a law to personally execute said person with a nail gun to the head.

Thinks himself clever? Ah, redundant ignorant point as you already said arrogant. Kids these days, so full of negativity. Ignorant, stupid negativity. And I don't get what's annoying about him to be honest. If anything he's extremely entertaining to watch and creates sparks at any table he plays at.

[ QUOTE ]
No-I think he things they're laughing with him not AT him.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you've played with these guys before and know them all well? Then shut up with more unfounded blah. Of course they're laughing with him, they're all nice people to the core.