Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Brian & Barry\'s prop bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(Actually, Justin seems to be a good kid and humble, despite all the bashing he gets here for multiple entries in tournaments. I asked him if he ever played at the same table as himself, and he said no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is false, and he admitted as much when the scandal first broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be a little more precise, I believe he said something along the lines of if I ended up at the same table I would open up a few more s'n'goes to compensate or some other [censored].
Old 07-23-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4. People talk about how many hands the online players play. It reminds me of spending hours practicing a bad golf swing. In poker, the hours you spend playing are worth something, but the hours you spend analyzing hands are more important. I have spent more time thinking about poker than the younger players. If you pick specific players who you think will do well this next year, you will see some of them airball the major tournaments. I will be in tournaments late, and I will make a WPT final table in the next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you still like your side of the bet if you're betting on WSOP and not WPT events where accumulating chips against beginners is more important then perfect play against pros (weaker fields and so on)? If yes, do you still like your bet if you're betting on (and playing obv) the big online tournaments?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

7. I’m sure some of the young players will pass me up, since they are getting better and I am declining as I get older.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty interesting admission. I wonder what the peak years for poker play are, either specifically for Barry Greenstein or in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
I seem to remeber a Doyle Brunson quote saying he thought it was mid 40s for most people.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 AM

I hope all 3 end up at the same FT.

How would this work for Barry strategy-wise?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope all 3 end up at the same FT.

How would this work for Barry strategy-wise?

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all that would be a sick sick FT to watch. it would be sick if only one of brian's horses made the FT with Barry. though i can't imagine his strategy would be any different as his goal would be to win (with the obv bonus of not having ZJ or imp win)
Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

7. I’m sure some of the young players will pass me up, since they are getting better and I am declining as I get older.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty interesting admission. I wonder what the peak years for poker play are, either specifically for Barry Greenstein or in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It seems pretty obvious. Skills decline as you get older... Everyone knows that. It's more obvious in athletics, but why would anyone think it doesn't happen in poker?

Barry knows it firsthand as he has probably seen the decline of people like Doyle and others.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM

There are two other aspects that no one has mentioned that give Barry an advantage. The big one is that BG has played with many of the top tourney pros far more than Sorel and ZJ. Barry knows how many of them play and can take advantage of that. Sorel and ZJ will eventually catch up and (perhaps) overtake Barry in that regard, but it will take a long long time. Longer than it intially took Barry in all likelihood, as tourney fields are larger and there are more players to know, but more relevantly, less opportunity to get to play with the other top players. Barry's experience against players like Gus, DN, Phil Ivey, etc has some usefulness.

The 2nd thing, which is probably fairly small, but still counts, is the pressure of the final table. Barry is used to playing with millions on the line, in fact he does it nearly *every day*. Sorel and ZJ have what, 1 tourney between them with that much money at the final table? I'm not saying this will affect them early or even semi-late in the tourney, but at the final table it might affect them a little. I'm going to give those two credit for being able to adjust quickly, but what does quickly mean? Probably not their first time. It will probably take them a few WPT final tables (or the like) to play their best poker. Add to that the fact that they know they will be on TV and that literally millions of people will be watching them *and* the fact that Barry is not even playing for himself (he plays for charity obv) and he has even less pressure on him.

Of course, this 2nd factor adds up to very little in terms of the bet, as this can only matter if Barry and one of the other (or both, how sick would that be?) make it to the late stages of the tourney.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It seems pretty obvious. Skills decline as you get older... Everyone knows that. It's more obvious in athletics, but why would anyone think it doesn't happen in poker?

Barry knows it firsthand as he has probably seen the decline of people like Doyle and others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the interesting part was Barry G admitting that he had already peaked and was starting to decline (unless I read that statement wrong).
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM

I am also surprised to see Barry G. talking about his skills declining as he gets older.

I have always though poker is remarkably age proof. Of course there is a point where old age will begin to adversely impact any sort of mental activity, a point which Doyle has probably reached.

But as for as an 18 year-old having an advantage over a 45 year-old, I wouldn't really expect to see this except in either (1) a marathon game that goes for like 20+ consecutive hours, or (2) a big bet heads-up match where rapid pattern recognition is very helpful for exploiting your opponent.

But as far as poker in general, it is truly not an young man's game, as Dutch Boyd claimed. It sometimes looks that way because the hotshots tend to be young, but that's just because successful players tend to diversify and get bored of poker.

Frankly poker is just not that intense of a mental activity... it is nowhere near a game like chess where after the opening the majority of moves require intense concentration.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the interesting part was Barry G admitting that he had already peaked and was starting to decline (unless I read that statement wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think being honest with yourself is an important trait if you expect to have long term success at poker. I guess that's part of why I wasn't surprised he brought it up.