Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Why isn\'t DNA and Human Consciousness Enough For Some Christians?

Since even fundamentalists believe that microevolution occurs within species, why do they fight so hard to deny that DNA mutations could also cause new species? Why do they need to believe that all species were created by God from the gitgo? Including all those millions of species of bugs, worms, etc that have no effect on us and have maybe been extinct for millions of years. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to think God created DNA and let the chips fall where they may? Until that time that an animal came into being with enough brainpower that God could bestow consciousness on it along with revealing his existence to it.

Why stick to much more controversial beliefs that all scientists think are silly, when the more reasonable scenario I outlined above, does not, to my knowledge contradict the basics of Christian thought?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Why isn\'t DNA and Human Consciousness Enough For Some Christians?

the bible is madd specific, yo. and it dont say a thing about dna and stuff. so what youre saying wouldnt be christian. if you want to start a new religion where you say god created the universe and let it run, ok, but your religion would be too boring. you would have to spice it up with dumb crap like messiahs and you cant eat pigs and stuff. then you would have to kill a bunch or people and invade new lands and convert them. you cant just revise religion in the face of scientific developments. christianity is fixed into its place of being retarded ever since the bible was printed for all to see. it says that god created everything like six thousand years ago. there is no room for revision or compromise. and if you cant deal with that, david, then youre going to hell.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the bible is madd specific, yo. and it dont say a thing about dna and stuff. so what youre saying wouldnt be christian. if you want to start a new religion where you say god created the universe and let it run, ok, but your religion would be too boring. you would have to spice it up with dumb crap like messiahs and you cant eat pigs and stuff. then you would have to kill a bunch or people and invade new lands and convert them. you cant just revise religion in the face of scientific developments. christianity is fixed into its place of being retarded ever since the bible was printed for all to see. it says that god created everything like six thousand years ago. there is no room for revision or compromise. and if you cant deal with that, david, then youre going to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brilliant. And I officially rescind the claim that Darwin wouldn't want you to reproduce.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since even fundamentalists believe that microevolution occurs within species, why do they fight so hard to deny that DNA mutations could also cause new species? Why do they need to believe that all species were created by God from the gitgo? Including all those millions of species of bugs, worms, etc that have no effect on us and have maybe been extinct for millions of years. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to think God created DNA and let the chips fall where they may? Until that time that an animal came into being with enough brainpower that God could bestow consciousness on it along with revealing his existence to it.

Why stick to much more controversial beliefs that all scientists think are silly, when the more reasonable scenario I outlined above, does not, to my knowledge contradict the basics of Christian thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put, David. My faith requires me to believe that God is the author of all life. The "how He did it" portion is immaterial to any key tenets of Catholic Faith. For those curious enough about the "How," there is scientific reason, understanding, and observation that can yield important clues. I'm inclined to believe that the scenerio you described above is a strong favorite to be correct.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 AM

David-

i think it IS enough for MOST Christians. but there are some really stupid people out there, so you are never going to have everyone on the 'right' side of the fence. there are still people that believe that the earth is flat, or hollow, or run by cyborgs.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since even fundamentalists believe that microevolution occurs within species, why do they fight so hard to deny that DNA mutations could also cause new species?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your question essentially reduces to a tautological one: Why do total morons believe moronic things?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what is reasonable is dependant on your level of understanding. So that if you do not have a grasp of how evolution and DNA works it might well appear simpler to “believe that all species were created by God from the gitgo”. This is especially true if you know your opinion is just as good if not better than anyone else, you can not understand what the ‘scientists’ are going on about, so clearly nether can they and your much simpler vision is clearly the better one. “These so called clever scientist tend to outthink themselves and loose touch with reality.”

I suspect by the end of the century we will have both determined all the steps in the evolution of life, and isolated the mechanism that creates the sensation of consciousness in humans, however that wont change fundamentalist Christian beliefs.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:04 AM

politics
Old 06-22-2007, 10:49 AM

David, are you going to watch Evan Almighty? Maybe Steve Carell will change your mind
Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started a thread a while back about the Christian who was Darwin's biggest promoter in the U.S. at the time. I made the suggestion that the reason Christians began to oppose Darwinism was because of the atheism that quickly became attached to Darwinism, especially through people like Huxley and now morons like Dawkins. Many Christians are really opposing the atheism which is poured down their throat with glee by Darwinists, and not speaking to the science involved.