Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the Manning vs Manning game Sunday
I dont' follow American football, what's this all about? 0 0%
It's neat that they are playing against each other, but I don't really care 10 12.50%
I can't wait for this game because of this brother - brother matchup (I wouldn't care much otherwise) 3 3.75%
This adds a bit of interest to a game I wouldn't care much about otherwise 8 10.00%
I care about this game for other reasons (for example, I'm a fan of one of the teams or have players on my fantasy team), this is not a factor 12 15.00%
I care about this game for other reasons, this makes it a bit more interesting 15 18.75%
It sucks because it makes it impossible for both to lose 7 8.75%
It's seriously overyhyped 15 18.75%
Who cares, it's not like they're on the field at the same time 6 7.50%
I'm more intrigued by Tiki and Ronde playing against each other 4 5.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: can anyone be a winning poker player?

i think its a generalization its like anything in life.
if you really want something you gotta work for it.
Anyone can open theyre own business,but you gotta sacrafice and work hard for it.
You wanna be a winning poker player truthfully,than you ahve to lose,learn,read,study,and spend countless hours playing.
with great sacrafice comes great reward.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think its a generalization its like anything in life.
if you really want something you gotta work for it.
Anyone can open theyre own business,but you gotta sacrafice and work hard for it.
You wanna be a winning poker player truthfully,than you ahve to lose,learn,read,study,and spend countless hours playing.
with great sacrafice comes great reward.

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of a great statement that I heard on Fox News recently. One of their financial guys (not Cavuto) said in a panel discussion (his emphasis), "The people I know that got rich did so by WORKING."
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Remember over 90% of all players are losers so the odds are you are one of them.
If you enjoy playing & treat it as your hobby then it doesnt matter what you lose as long as you can afford the cost.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Anyone can be a winner if they really want to. I think your problem is not playing under your bankroll.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone can be a winner if they really want to. I think your problem is not playing under your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
It poker is truly a skill game, then this simply cant be true.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It poker is truly a skill game, then this simply cant be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it can. So many people out there don't care and just want to have fun, that whoever you are, you can get good enough to be a winning player. What I'm saying is, if I had a list of every single person who has ever played a hand of poker, then I could pick anyone and turn them into a winning player.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 AM

I don't think anyone can be a winning poker player. I think most people can but don't choose to work hard at it. You have 2 choices:

1) Play for fun, just lose money you can afford to lose.

2) Pick a form of poker, study, post hands, review your play, maintain bank roll management once you play at a level you can't easily replace the money, read books, post replies to hands, rinse and repeat.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess that means that only I would know the answer to whether or not I should quit? I feel that I should quit, but at the same time I love playing so much... Should I go to some type of counseling? (christ, i sound so emo. my apologies.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do love the game, I see no point in quitting. Why should you quit doing something you like? I don't see the point. Poker is a game of skill. If you are a loosing player, you just have to study more (and play more).

Of course, along your way to become a winning player, you gotta stay diciplined enough to only play for small money you can afford to loose with a smile. An alternative is of course play money.

Take myself, for instance. I'm a loosing player. So what? The more I play the better I get. I like playing it. So I don't quit. Instead I try to study and learn. Of course I only do that because I like to play the game, and it's more fun when you master it (like every other game).

I believe all loosing players can turn into winners. It's not like some people are doomed forever in this game, although I know the feeling.

Yes, some people don't have what it takes to get to the very top, becoming millionares and superstars.

But I think all people can turn into winners overall, if they just study hard enough and have the will.

Like Phil Gordon says: "I don't have to be the greatest. I just have to be better than a few of my opponents at the table".

I can, and you can. It may take time, but if we stay focused, we are going to get there.

When you read poker books, hang out on this forum, analyze your hands and always look out for ways to improve, you will ALLWAYS have an edge as opposed to people who don't. And there's lots of them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Take care,

Karl
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM

any1 can be a winner, just keep trying when i first started playing sit and goes i losed but then i remember hearing people making a living from it, so it could be done, i went and read some books then, then went back then read some more books and so on. Now i am at the stage of having to do this for cash games, its hard work but if you put in the effort you can do it anyone can.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good poker can be learned.

Do you have PokerTracker? If not, then you're wasting you time trying to play better on line.

Also, read the Psychology of Poker and take the tests in that book to asses "why" you play. Figure it out, and see what about your personality is contributing to your continuing losses.

Then, post hands in the strat forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice in this thread. If you don't know why you aren't winning (both from a personality perspective - PoP - and from a quality of play perspective - PT and strat posts) you'll never get better.

Just remember, it takes time. Lots of time most likely.