Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Chances of Death = X, Do You Save a Friend?

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I am older than most of you, but either I am a selfish bastard (the ex-wives think so for sure) or you guys are all naive/liars. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup... 100% for my son though obviously.

rvg
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM

i think its very difficult to answer this question without actually being thrust into the situation. of course i would like to think it would be 100% for close family but who knows what i would say if confronted with this situation in reality.

however, i have met someone who did take a pretty damn big risk in order to save a stranger. i live in Western Australia, and a few years ago i was at the beach in the morning when there were a bunch of middle aged people going for a group swim. out of nowhere a 6 meter great white shark came in and attacked two of them. one of the men was killed, but at the time when the shark had literally torn his legs off and was circling around, and everyone was bolting for shore, this guy actually ran from the sand into the water and swam about 50 meters out to pick the injured man up and drag him to shore while the monster shark was still in the area. now THAT was a ballsy act if i ever saw one. he took a massive risk to save a total stranger, who for all he knew could be already dead. not to mention the fact that the process of his own death would be about as horrendous as you can get. when i got to speak to him later on (he is actually an old friend of my dads) i couldnt help but be impressed. i would wager that less than 10% of the population would be willing to do what he did in the same situation. i very much doubt i would be able to do it, no matter how much i would like to think i would.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:37 PM

that shark story, no way i am doing that for numerous reasons. That's crazy to know a guy that did that.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 PM

I think the method of me and the other person's death would factor into this heavily.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think its very difficult to answer this question without actually being thrust into the situation. of course i would like to think it would be 100% for close family but who knows what i would say if confronted with this situation in reality.

however, i have met someone who did take a pretty damn big risk in order to save a stranger. i live in Western Australia, and a few years ago i was at the beach in the morning when there were a bunch of middle aged people going for a group swim. out of nowhere a 6 meter great white shark came in and attacked two of them. one of the men was killed, but at the time when the shark had literally torn his legs off and was circling around, and everyone was bolting for shore, this guy actually ran from the sand into the water and swam about 50 meters out to pick the injured man up and drag him to shore while the monster shark was still in the area. now THAT was a ballsy act if i ever saw one. he took a massive risk to save a total stranger, who for all he knew could be already dead. not to mention the fact that the process of his own death would be about as horrendous as you can get. when i got to speak to him later on (he is actually an old friend of my dads) i couldnt help but be impressed. i would wager that less than 1% of the population would be willing to do what he did in the same situation. i very much doubt i would be able to do it, no matter how much i would like to think i would.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, sounds like something out of a movie or something.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Friend, Close Friend, Best Friend, Acquaintance, Family Member, Husband, Family Pet, etc etc: 0%

Daughter: 100%

I would die for the daughter in a millisecond but cannot risk my life for someone else, no matter how much I love them, due to my responsibilities to my daughter.

T
Old 06-19-2007, 10:32 PM

girlfriend (fiancee actually) - 100% not close.
parents - this is really tough. somewhere between 25-75%.
sister - 75%
Old 06-19-2007, 10:43 PM

And I thought altruism was genetic. Apparently some of us don't have that gene? What's this 15% [censored]?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 PM

Interesting thread. Especially since I just finished 'A Selfish Gene' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

As far as friends are concerned, I have casual friends, who I would probably risk maybe 1% of my life, and my close friends anywhere between 10 - 25%.

30-40% for my parents (they're older obviously)
40-60% for my bro.

I think the close relative question is really hard to quantify and I may be on the low side of what I would actually do in real life. That said, I think a lot of you are full of [censored] with your 90-100% answers, but I could just be a heartless prick.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I thought altruism was genetic. Apparently some of us don't have that gene? What's this 15% [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think altruism is genetic?