Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Congress requests WWE\'s steroid-tests documents. Not their place?

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really Congress's business to request the results/documentation of the WWE's steroid tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if illegal steroids are being used systemically in pro wrestling (and particularly if they are condoned and/or pushed by management) then that makes pro wrestling a criminal enterprise. If have no idea if this is the case or how prevalent steroids are in wrestling.

Congress has investigated many alleged lawbreakers or groups potentially acting against the best interest of the country. From Hollywood to big tobacco to comic books to communists.

Why would wrestling be any different?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's not how it's treated in school or in the culture at large. Dance is classified as an art, not a sport. That there are no rankings, prizes, nor competitors nor competitions firms that up too. I'd go so far as to say that, as ballet is a performance art, if there were competition involved, it would be with other art forms or events that might be seen or participated in instead, like a movie, a broadway show, a gallery exhibit, or an opera.

Tellingly, dictionary definitions for ballet describe it as a type of dance or dance performance, and dance itself is classified as an art form, not a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh whatever, Im just going to have to agree to disagree and for the sake of the rest of these guys lets just drop it.

unless you want to settle this.

with a dance off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make me go Rick Astley on your ass.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it really Congress's business to request the results/documentation of the WWE's steroid tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if illegal steroids are being used systemically in pro wrestling (and particularly if they are condoned and/or pushed by management) then that makes pro wrestling a criminal enterprise. If have no idea if this is the case or how prevalent steroids are in wrestling.

Congress has investigated many alleged lawbreakers or groups potentially acting against the best interest of the country. From Hollywood to big tobacco to comic books to communists.

Why would wrestling be any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they acting against the best interests of the public, or merely of their own employees?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:35 PM

It will probably just be ignored again, but:

USA International Ballet Competition
Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Back to your original question:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As noted in the article this investigation is through the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Quoting their website:

[ QUOTE ]
The Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is the main investigative committee in the U.S. House of Representatives. It has jurisdiction to investigate any federal program and any matter with federal policy implications.

[/ QUOTE ]

So yay, basically they can investigate anything they want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was going to be my question. congress can investigate basically any business as long as it does business over state lines? what kind of penalties can congress specifically hand out?

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of penalties, not much... contempt of Congress is about it (yawn). The bigger deal would be referral to DOJ.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:18 PM

guids,

Weren't you in a huff in the Mike Vick thread in Sporting Events when people went off on the animal ethics/vegetarian tangent? WTF.

All,

WTF does ballet have to do with Congress potentially investigating WWE? Pro wrestling is kind of, sort of, not really (wink, wink) a sport, and (like all real sports) entertainment.

Cry me a river,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain how steroid use in the WWE is "against he best interest of the country."
Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Weren't you in a huff in the Mike Vick thread in Sporting Events when people went off on the animal ethics/vegetarian tangent? WTF.

All,

WTF does ballet have to do with Congress potentially investigating WWE? Pro wrestling is kind of, sort of, not really (wink, wink) a sport, and (like all real sports) entertainment.

Cry me a river,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain how steroid use in the WWE is "against he best interest of the country."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I really wasnt in a huff over it, i just didnt really get the huge outcry, bullfighting, running with the bulls, etc is pretty accepted, I just didnt get the huge uproar because one is "traditional" and one isnt. i really dont have strong feelings one way or the other, and I pretty much defer to people who know more about the subject than I.

BUT....this has absolutely NOTHING to do with what blarg and I were arguing about, I wasnt really even paying attention to any thing in the OP, except the issue of WWE not being a sport, even though the OPs intention really wasnt this issue...I didnt care.

FWIW, my stance is that, I think a lot of drugs should be legal, steroids being one of them, so ya, even though it is illegal, I dont think there should be an investigation into the WWE. The only investigation that I do agree with is a profile of benoit (because thats what raised the issue), and what actually caused the murders. The investigation into roids and the WWE kind of just puts default blame on roids in this case, and I HIGHLY doubt it was more than a small factore in what happened, but Im not doc.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 AM

Being that steroids are already illegal, I'm thinking that congess investigating the WWE is a waste of time. If there is probable cause then search these goons' homes, gyms, trailers, whatever and then blood test them like you would a typical felon. If there is no probable cause leave them alone. If congress' reasoning is that they are role models (I consider them more along the lines of soap opera actors or circus performers) then maybe they should spend their resources investigating the music industry instead for their glamorization of illegal drug use. This is the most worthless congress ever so they are really looking for something to make headlines, that can portray them in such a way that they are making a positive impact on something. Don't forget, they call for an investigation in July, They start the investigation in December. The investigation lasts through March. Conclusions and recommendations come out in June. Big press conference is held to say "look at us we got something done and don't forget to vote for us being that it's an election year and all."
Old 08-18-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it's not. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont think wrestling is a sport? by a couple dictionary definitions I think it is personally. The wrestlers may not be competing against eachother, but they are definetly competing against themselves which makes it a sport in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha it's a sport? More like high impact dancing combined with moronic soap opera style story lines based around shaven sterioded out meat heads running around in ridiculous tights and speedo's... jesus wrestling lost its appeal for me when i was 12 or so.