Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Battle of the Beards

I was watching the music video for Johnny Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down." and I couldn't decide who the guy was at the beginning and at the end. Then I realized how many country/blues/southern rock guys have dark long hair and beards. I figured out who the guy in the video was. Who else here can list who these people are, and which two appeared in the video?

edit: one didn't show up the first time + new video link
Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Battle of the Beards

haven't seen the video, but those dudes are:

david allan coe
? not sure maybe hank jr?
merle
waylon
shooter
not sure, looks like the dude from zz top
Old 07-28-2007, 04:32 PM

FTW.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:42 PM

someone say beard?

Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM

i always heard about waylon being around where i used to live (abilene tx), and diffrent people youd meet had alot of dfrent stories about meeting him.

I was at hastings one day with a couple really good friends, one friend picked up his greatest hits cd or something like that, i commented onhow great he was, and how i grew up lisening to it.
My other friends whole countenace(sp?) changed.
That guys a [censored] [censored] he said.

i continued to say some things baout how great i thought he was.
then my friend leans over and says it was his uncle, which really set guy 2 off.
Apperantly he had to goto the emergancy room 10+ times because waylon would get drunk and beat on his wife, my friends aunt.

he told me about goingto his funeral and seeing Johnny Cash and all these other famous people, and how it was a little disgusting to hear people talk so good about such an evil man
Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM

lol the last one is rick rubin, man he looks old
Old 07-28-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i always heard about waylon being around where i used to live (abilene tx), and diffrent people youd meet had alot of dfrent stories about meeting him.

I was at hastings one day with a couple really good friends, one friend picked up his greatest hits cd or something like that, i commented onhow great he was, and how i grew up lisening to it.
My other friends whole countenace(sp?) changed.
That guys a [censored] [censored] he said.

i continued to say some things baout how great i thought he was.
then my friend leans over and says it was his uncle, which really set guy 2 off.
Apperantly he had to goto the emergancy room 10+ times because waylon would get drunk and beat on his wife, my friends aunt.

he told me about goingto his funeral and seeing Johnny Cash and all these other famous people, and how it was a little disgusting to hear people talk so good about such an evil man

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about Waylon as a man, other than some stories about him acting really crazy. I sure enjoy his music though.

From what I've heard, he died with about twenty years clean in Cocaine Anonymous.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:21 PM

This prologue to a recording Waylon did in the mid 80's strikes me as honest:

[ QUOTE ]

*guitar*

Well, now that was Spanish Fandango American-Style. That’s the first song my daddy taught me how to play on a guitar.

The way this album came about was when a lot of people were trying to get me to write a book about the story of my life, and I decided to try it. And I hadn’t written but about two pages when I realized that there was too many people still alive that might get killed or divorced if I told everything I knew. So I decided to write my audio-biography. Now I had recorded several songs that were written by Roger Murrah, and I was a big fan of his. And when I decided it was time to do this album, I was going to need some help. So I called him up and asked him if he would be interested in working on it with me, and he said yes. Now, looking back on writing with Roger Murrah, I think I know where the songs came from. Now we wrote these songs in a little old room, eight by eight. And on Roger’s side of the room, all his pencils and papers were in their proper place, and on my side of the room, everything was scattered and covered with cigarette ashes. So I think it all came together, somewhere between ragged and right.

What we tried to do with this album is put in book form, chapter one through chapter ten. Chapter one is about my childhood, growing up in Littlefield Texas, in fact that’s the name of the song. Chapter two is about Texas, and Texans are pretty proud. And it doesn’t matter if you stay there or leave there, you always take pride in knowing they’ll never take Texas out of you. Chapter three, well that’s about my first love. I guess everybody remembers their first love. And in the 1950’s, when I first went to New York, kind of a combination. Chapter four is about lost love. And me being married more than most families, I think I ought to know something about that. Chapter five is about Nashville, and checking on Nashville’s sense of humor, seeing if it still had one. And what old Hank would think if he could come back right now and see all the digital machines and trucks and buses and lear jets. Chapter six is about the crazy years, all my rough and rowdy days, and all my rough and rowdy buddies I used to run around with, kicking down doors, and acting crazy in general. Chapter seven, well that’s about drugs. I spent twenty-one years of my life on drugs, so this is about being able to survive that and come back and be living proof that there’s life after drugs. I hope that somebody gets something out of that. Chapter eight is about Jessi, the light of my life. And if anybody deserves the stars in anybody’s crown, she does. Chapter nine, is about reflections, looking back over your life, the good times and the bad times, and the things you would and wouldn’t change. Chapter ten, we call that the beginning, and all I can say is that it ain’t over until its over.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2007, 03:34 AM

Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone say beard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard Melissa called a lot of things but never in connection w/ beards.