Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Why don\'t you watch boxing?

[ QUOTE ]
If two guys can fight for that long, and nobody gets hurt, it's not even a fight IMO...more like glorified sparring. They need to move to smaller gloves or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you like Gladiator?

When Amir Khan beat Willie Limmond earlier this year, he broke the guy's nose and jaw, but he looked fine. He even (mumbled) a few words in the post match interview. What more do you want exactly?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 AM

Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 AM

I guess a lot of it has to do with the lack of high quality fights in boxing nowadays, which is almost always down to the promoters' inability to co-operate. I can't remember the last fight before Mayweather/DLH without local interest (i.e. Hatton or Khan) that I went out of my way to watch.

Doesn't help that the heavyweight division is ****ing terrible at the moment
Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM

Also there has been a lot of sick fixed fights in boxing, at least the ones we got to watch here in Denmark. Some years ago, we had Brian Nielsen, a heavyweight, who won like 48 consecutive bouts in some obscure boxing association (and was "world champ".

A lot of his games were so sick, because they dragged some poor drunk in off the street, and a lot of matches looked to be fixed (evidence of this has later surfaced)....

I never watch boxing any more, I find it SO boring when you have gotten used to watching Chuck Lidell, Randy Coutoure, Forrest Griffin, Vanderlei Silva etc etc etc...
Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM

also ufc has gotten alot more popular since they started using the wrestling marketing.

They pay the ufc guys more for knockouts and more for finishing the fights in 3 rounds. This makes the fights alot more exiting to a non martial arts practicing viewer.

People like to see stand up high kick knockouts. At first UFC was just ppl laying around on the mat for 40 minutes.

The new rules they have introduced have made ufc 100x more enjoyable to the average fan.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Boxing has a long history and its still the "sweet science." I don't like MMA because its just dirty streetfighting. I watch boxing for the finess of guys like mayweather, taylor, etc etc....

There are certain types of boxers that I dont enjoy, such as gatti/ward type crap. I guess you have to love boxing for the skill, and if ur looking to see an ass beating, MMA is likely better for you.

Funny thing about me is, i love boxing, but hate violence. That's why i prefer fighters that are skillful and dont get hit alot like sugar ray leonard, ali etc etc.

Indy
Old 10-11-2007, 02:27 PM

oh and as another poster mentioned above, I HAVE NO IDEA WHY DON KING IS STILL ALLOWED TO PROMOTE ANYBODY!!!!!! I mean could you imagine what the poker community would do to a guy as shady as Don King? We'd never let him play another game again.

Indy
Old 10-11-2007, 02:31 PM

A few years ago there were a few boxing matches I saw (I was at best a casual fan) where the word "flurry" was thrown around. ODL would finish off the rounds with a series of quick punches, the commentators would say something like "great strategy by ODL, finishing off the round like that will help him with the judges". Basically most of the fights I saw were becoming performance pieces for the judges as much, or more, than they were fights. This is a big turnoff for a casual fan.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like MMA because its just dirty streetfighting.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM

isn't MMA just a basic streetfight? Its not gonna have the bobbing and weaving of boxing right?

Indy