Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: US vs Canada
US rules and Canada has igloos, lol 79 30.50%
Canada is teh best 180 69.50%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Jeter

Most overrated overhyped overloved player of this generation?

I mean, look, he's a good shortstop. Nice batting average, reasonable power (for a shortstop). Good (not very good or great) fielder. Steals a few bases, crappy SO/BB ratio for a guy with <20HR power. Other than tagging along for a slew of World Series teams early in his career, why is this dude the lovechild of the media and NYers in general.

I hate to go to the "he isn't even the best shortstop on his own team" argument, but he's not. The way Jose Reyes is going, Jeter may not even be the 2nd best SS in the city of NY by the end of the year. Him getting MVP consideration last year was ludicrous. I mean, seriously, what's the deal with the Jeter love affair?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Jeter

He had the highest VORP in the AL last year...
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Great offensive SS
Average to crappy defensive SS.

Should have been MVP last season.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most overrated overhyped overloved player of this generation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Hits for BA, nothing else, and is mediocre defensively. Only an MVP contender because of his looks and the Yankees thing.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Hits for BA, nothing else, and is mediocre defensively. Only an MVP contender because of his looks and the Yankees thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm, right?

I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and have hated Jeter for a long ass time, but there's no denying he's unbelievably good, and its not because of the intangibles/clutchness/mystique. Its cause he's remarkably consistent and can rake.

His defense blows though, the only arguement for him being overrated i'd make centers around gold gloves.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 AM

I'd say he's had two pretty legitimate MVP seasons (99 and 06). I wonder why you think he shouldn't have gotten MVP consideration. It was between him and Mauer for my mythical MVP vote.

He probably shouldn't be a shortstop, though. I'd like to see him in center field or right. We know he has the arm, and he has great range on popups.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm, right?

I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and have hated Jeter for a long ass time, but there's no denying he's unbelievably good, and its not because of the intangibles/clutchness/mystique. Its cause he's remarkably consistent and can rake.

His defense blows though, the only arguement for him being overrated i'd make centers around gold gloves.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He's a career .317 hitter, which is good, and will get you 20-30 SB's and 10-20 HR's per year. I'm unsure how those stats make him "unbelievably good." the .343 average with 34 SB's last year was a nice performance, however.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 AM

People don't appreciate walks and doubles.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Jeter is underrated offensively
Jeter is overrated defensively
Jeter's intangibles are largely mythical.
Jeter has had two MVP caliber seasons.
Jeter is underrated offensively for the same reason Justin Morneau is overrated offensively. Scarcity of position. A mediocre offennsive year for a 1b is a great offensive year for a SS. Due to the defense requirements of a SS it is ridiculous to assume they can put up power numbers like 1b or corner outfielders.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He's a career .317 hitter, which is good, and will get you 20-30 SB's and 10-20 HR's per year. I'm unsure how those stats make him "unbelievably good." the .343 average with 34 SB's last year was a nice performance, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't want to get in a habit of defending Jeter, cause I kinda hate him, but he's got a career 388 obp/ 851 ops (123ops+)...as a shortstop. Thats a higher career ops than guys like soriano, carlos lee, and almost the same as hideki matsui. Outfield production from a shortstop that hardly ever misses a game is pretty rare.