Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Small pots rag flops

1) I thought I'd get peeled too much and not know where I am on the turn, but I decided to call a bet anyway so I think I should bet myself, flop's not too likely to hit anyone. What do you do if you bet and get called by both on the flop?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks

2) Both villains are loose. River bettor is 43/3/1.7 over 39

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

3) Unknowns

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero???
Old 11-30-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Small pots rag flops

Interesting thread.

Hand 1: I usually bet the flop in this spot. If I check here it is becuz i believe the UTG will bet 100% of the time If I check, then I would usually check/raise the flop unless I believed he is very capable of bluffing all streets if I play passive. So If I played the hand the way you did, that would mean im check/calling the river. Whether you should check/call the river vs this guy or check/fold is close.

Hand 2: I usually play it the same although checking the flop is ok too if you have a read that someone will always autobet if checked to. On the river I would call cuz I cant for the life of me figure out what this guy has. I do think the river play is close between check/call and bet/fold. Whether I bet the river or check/call depends on who im up against.

Hand 3: This is one of those marginal situations where all your options are close. Betting the flop seems ok to me, even check/raising seems ok vs someone who will always try to pick up the pot if checked to, and lastly check/folding is ok too in this small pot. Most often im check/folding here.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 AM

#3, I don't like the idea of check raising this one as it looks like an expensive way to take down the pot. Problem is we have to follow up with a bet on the turn and if we don't hit the river is very tricky to play. I would prefer to just bet the flop, call a raise and fold the turn UI.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
#3, I don't like the idea of check raising this one as it looks like an expensive way to take down the pot. Problem is we have to follow up with a bet on the turn and if we don't hit the river is very tricky to play. I would prefer to just bet the flop, call a raise and fold the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet the flop, you should be bet/folding since calling a raise with no pair/no draw in a small pot is not a good idea. I think check/raising the flop becomes a viable line against players who will bet this flop with any two cards but will give up on their bluff if someone calls or raises. For example: If I was the last guy to act in this limped pot, it would probably be correct to check/raise me with any two cards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 03:27 AM

I'm probably biased by 1/2 were it's rare that players bet/raise and fold on the same street no matter what they hold, myself included. I will pick up on your advice and try to play more distinct.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 AM

1- i think bet/fold is a decent line behind check fold. if theyre loose players i think i like check fold. bottom pair oop no draw isnt really a great spot.
2-i prob just bet/fold the river if you are going to call unless vill is really laggro when checked to.
3-check and see what happens.

as a rule, i try to passively play these types of hands oop ( as all of your hands are). when you have no pair or bottom pair firing money into small pots multiway you are going to get yourself into trouble.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 AM

1) On the flop in these spots I used to be lost untill I saw Stoxtraders coaching videos. I check and await the action. If UTG bets and SB calls "I call and see if I get a free card" (using stox own words). If UTG bets and SB folds I am between raising and calling depending on UTG's type.

As played I dont see what worse hand calls a river bet so I prolly just check call.

2) At my levels I usually get a chance to c/r MP on boards like this. Since the action goes "check" - "check" - "bet anything" about 80% of the time. But as ILP says this is dependant on whether MP bets any two when checked to. If the guy in the middle bets I call regardless of MP's action.

3) Again, at my levels I rarely get the chance to pick up the pot with a lead here son I just c/f. c/c and b/c as suggested by some is bad IMO, the only option for me is to make a play for the pot.