Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 AM

Default KQ flops top 2 and gets confused by the action.

Tables been really passive, folding to near min-raises post flop etc. No specific reads on anyone yet as it's been mostly limping or folding. Anyways I was kind freaked out when I got a bunch of callers from the passive group so I pushed the turn thinking someone might have AK and call and basicly not sure what to do if I potted it and got multiple callers. Comments welcome on all streets just explain them so I know why I should be doing what you suggest.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)
UTG (t2950)
Hero (t1390)
MP1 (t1790)
MP2 (t1470)
MP3 (t1370)
CO (t1580)
Button (t1470)
SB (t1410)
BB (t1530)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, MP3 calls t20, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t10, BB checks

Flop: (t100) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t20</font>, BB calls t20, <font color="red">Hero raises to t120</font>, MP2 calls t120, MP3 calls t120, SB calls t100, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Turn: (t600) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t1250 (All-in)</font>
Old 08-29-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: KQ flops top 2 and gets confused by the action.

1- i tend to fold kq off from early position until i get a pretty good feel for how a table is playing because it's not a hand i want a lot of OOP action with.

as for how it panned out....

once you don't get 3 bet on the flop (which was a good raise), and you still have that many people colcallingand hanging around, i see nothing wrong with a push.

you'd have to bet a decent amount on the turn- at least 800-1k and you're not deep enough so a cram seems ok.

only thingreally to fear here is 33 and i think it would have put in another bet on the flop.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
only thing really to fear here is 33

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, more than just a set would worry me. I like the turn jam. Yes, 33 is instacalling on the turn. Now, your jam made it a juicy pot, there are still a few players in the hand. I can see a OESD and FD getting stubborn and calling to spike the river. Even if it's wrong to do so.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 AM

I wouldn't open limp KQo from ep. If the table's passive, as you say, I'll raise.

I like the rest of the hand.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:39 AM

I probably push too, because as soon as 1 of them calls any bet that's pot or less - the rest get good odds on their draws.

So did you lose to a flush to to a straight?...
Old 08-29-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably push too, because as soon as 1 of them calls any bet that's pot or less - the rest get good odds on their draws.

So did you lose to a flush to to a straight?...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even have to see the river, they all folded to the push and I took down the pot. That being the case what do you think they had?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 PM

Flush draws and straight draws. Some kings, with bad or decent kickers. I'm guessing this is a low buy-in tourney? If so, raising with KQo UTG is pretty bad here as well I think - you'll risk getting a lot of calls.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flush draws and straight draws. Some kings, with bad or decent kickers. I'm guessing this is a low buy-in tourney? If so, raising with KQo UTG is pretty bad here as well I think - you'll risk getting a lot of calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was a low-limit tournament, I instinctively limped it because normally to you have too many callers in the limits I play, I didn't even consider the fact that the table had been passive or I might have considered a raise. ethierway I figured them for flush draws or a Q, maybe a straight draw or a King but most people call with weak Kings in these tournaments.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:41 AM

not likely someone has AK, but i think you can assume atleast one of them has hearts, 33 possible but doubtful . I think i bet like 500, and obv have to call a push.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 AM

This looks totally fine. I'm definitely ok w/ taking the pot right there, plus I have outs for someone w/ a set