Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: OMG... The Decemberists\' new album.... HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIP IT!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beat: YOU ARE SO [censored] GAY

-SmileyGEY

[/ QUOTE ]

holy smokes, that is one stalkerish gimmick account. Took him only 1 minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah first post in months, I'm impressed.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beat: YOU ARE SO [censored] GAY

-SmileyGEY

[/ QUOTE ]

holy smokes, that is one stalkerish gimmick account. Took him only 1 minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such quickness seems only possible if Smiley and the gimmick maker were from the same country.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WOW -- now there's at least two B-sides floating around out there from The Crane Wife.

"After the Bombs" is a gorgeous, quiet piano ballad. The other one I have is "The Culling of the Fold," a good but weirder ditty. You guys should be industrious and try to find them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow is right, these two songs are great.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brag: I'm going to see the Decemberists on Halloween in Northampton!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2006, 03:54 PM

This album ain't that great. What were they thinking when they decided to put The Perfect Crime 2 on this album? That song is pathetic. The rest of the songs are not bad, just not as great as Picaresque. That said, Yankee Bayonet my favorite Decemberists song out of all their records.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM

if someone can get me those 2 songs (After the Bombs" , "The Culling of the Fold" )

thatd be greaaaaat

PM please?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

they are really fun live. as for them being hipster music? i would say far from it. when i saw them live, it looked a lot like a large group of geeks had congregated, but i don't really pay attention to this stupid sheet no more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw them at the Wiltern this past Saturday, knowing very little about them (got a free ticket from a friend). I was pretty much on the same page as Astroglide - having never really heard their music before, gave their albums a whirl on Rhapsody to check it out before the concert. Kind of meh on it, and the guys voice was kind of annoying imo.

Seeing them in concert turned me around on them. They were very good - incredible musicians, tight, fluid set, long-ass encore. The music is very sophisticated imo - there were moments that felt very prog-rockish (thoughts of Yes and Tull ran through my head), capturing the sort of grandeur of that type of music. Lead singer is great live too, his "accent" whatever it is didn't notice as much live, and he is just a great singer. Lyrically smart, clever, occasionally poignant.

Oh and it was basically a 100% hipster / geek vs. hipster/ cool audience. Although I did see Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom in the lobby (she is extremely short).

-Al
Old 11-06-2006, 04:58 PM

just to echo what Al said - this show is incredible. Saw them Sat. night in Boston. the set list was almost entirely The Crane Wife, with a few other songs thrown in (July July, maybe 2 others). if you like the album, you'll love this show - they are very very tight, and the sound is pretty similar to the recorded version. Most of the live shows I've seen are either jam type bands (Dead, Phish) or more experimental bands (Radiohead) or straight out rock bands (Pearl Jam, etc) so this was new to me.

The highlites (just as on the album, imho) were "The Island...", all the Crane Wife parts, and the set closing "Sons and Daughters" which they had the audience sing along to. Fun.

oh and the band members reenacted the Boston Massacre which took place just a few hundred yards down the street. pretty funny, and right up their alley.

Run, don't walk, to see The Decemberists!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Damnit... all of their upcoming shows appear to be in Canada or Europe, with a sprinkling in the Midwest. Guess I missed them this go-round.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just to echo what Al said - this show is incredible. Saw them Sat. night in Boston. the set list was almost entirely The Crane Wife, with a few other songs thrown in (July July, maybe 2 others). if you like the album, you'll love this show - they are very very tight, and the sound is pretty similar to the recorded version. Most of the live shows I've seen are either jam type bands (Dead, Phish) or more experimental bands (Radiohead) or straight out rock bands (Pearl Jam, etc) so this was new to me.

The highlites (just as on the album, imho) were "The Island...", all the Crane Wife parts, and the set closing "Sons and Daughters" which they had the audience sing along to. Fun.

oh and the band members reenacted the Boston Massacre which took place just a few hundred yards down the street. pretty funny, and right up their alley.

Run, don't walk, to see The Decemberists!

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit, they were in Boston on Saturday? They are one of my favorite live shows, seen them twice, but not since Crane Wife came out. I'd love to see Sons and Daughters live. Lucky SOB, hope you had fun.