Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Street by street vs TerrorOfSweden, EPT Barcelona (Hand w/ masters

[ QUOTE ]
Ansky,

The idea of the small lead is to get the hand over with on the flop, precicely to eliminate having to make a tough turn decision OOP in a big pot. If you lead small, given your description of the villian, he is almost certain to raise with a large percentage of his range. Then you can shove, maximizing your value, and getting it in there on the flop with a hand that kills his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh no it isn't so simple. There are a ton of hands in his range which he will flat the flop w/.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Fold preflop unless you are calling a 3bet from ToS. Depending on the table I really don't think that a limp is terrible.

On the flop I would bet 1k and 3bet all-in.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To everyone saying lead, or if you say check raise and he calls:

Turn is an offsuit Ace. Plan?

Turn is a low diamond. Plan?

Turn is a king. Plan?

Turn is a blank. Plan?

Turn is a T J or Q. Plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think the majority of us think if we lead there is at least an 80% chance he raises because of the image you set forth on him.

But anyway I kind of like checking every single turn, even if we hit an ace or a diamond trying to act weak to induce from him since he is crazy.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To everyone saying lead, or if you say check raise and he calls:

Turn is an offsuit Ace. Plan?

Turn is a low diamond. Plan?

Turn is a king. Plan?

Turn is a blank. Plan?

Turn is a T J or Q. Plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted lead on the flop. With that said I like checking basically any turn card. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 PM

id check all turns and think if the frush comes checking it twice would be sexy.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky,

The idea of the small lead is to get the hand over with on the flop, precicely to eliminate having to make a tough turn decision OOP in a big pot. If you lead small, given your description of the villian, he is almost certain to raise with a large percentage of his range. Then you can shove, maximizing your value, and getting it in there on the flop with a hand that kills his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh no it isn't so simple. There are a ton of hands in his range which he will flat the flop w/.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we'll need a better description of the villain. Given the description you have in the OP, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to believe that he will raise well over 80% of his range (as FGators suggested) if we make a small flop bet. If he generally plays flops like a nit instead of the maniac you have described, then that should have been included in the opening description.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we'll need a better description of the villain. Given the description you have in the OP, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to believe that he will raise well over 80% of his range (as FGators suggested) if we make a small flop bet. If he generally plays flops like a nit instead of the maniac you have described, then that should have been included in the opening description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being crazy aggro doesn't mean he's so retarded that he is raising non top pair, paired hands here. I certainly expect him to call w/ marginal showdown hands. He has been playing ultra high stakes NL cash games for years. Being lagtard is his style, but isn't like his playbook for every single opportunity.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 PM

I can't see a real negative to checking the turn if he calls the flop. If he shoves or bets huge, denying us odds, then okay we lost a pot, if we lead a blank and he raises it blows us off our draw.

If its an ace we can induce by check/calling if he tries to rep it or possibly practice pot control by check/calling.

If the flush gets there once again we can act like we hate that card and potentially check/call, check/river if you think he goes nuts (though he may check behind a lot of hands so maybe scratch that...weak lead hoping he may shove because he's overaggro). If he checks behind on the turn I then once again vote weak lead on the river and he may go nutso and either raise thinking its for value (with his king) or as a bluff, though I expect not many turns to go check,check.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being crazy aggro doesn't mean he's so retarded that he is raising non top pair, paired hands here. I certainly expect him to call w/ marginal showdown hands. He has been playing ultra high stakes NL cash games for years. Being lagtard is his style, but isn't like his playbook for every single opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Given this info that he'd smooth call the flop with a large (mostly marginal) part of his range, then I'd advocate the small 1K bet on the flop even more. If you bet and he calls, you get to see the turn for cheap while building up the pot a bit in case you hit your flush/Ace.

By checking, he may be inclined to continuation-bet his marginal hand for more than you'd desire to call, thus forcing you to pay substantially more to see your flush hit, while also getting him pot-committed if you intended to check-raise.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, makes sense. I think I like a plan to check raise flop, maybe crai on the flop. If he checks behind, well that's not such a bad result - I think its better them him flatting a 1k lead and you not having a sense of where you stand (although some might 'bet for information' here lol). It would suck to gutter the turn and then have to turn your hand into a bluff in an inflated pot vs. a eurolagtard.

As to your question as what to do if he checks behind:

Check-call os ace
check call blank
bet a diamond