Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Fruit

When I was a kid, we used to spit watermelon seeds off the porch and into the front garden and not so surprisingly watermelon plants would grow with tiny little watermelons.

I told this to my wife the other day and she said her coworker (who grows a lot of his own vegetables) told her that nowadays, if you planted the seeds you get out of store-bought fruits and vegetables, the plants that grow won't bear fruit b/c they've been genetically engineered that way. Is that true?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Fruit

Define truth.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 AM

when i was 5 i planted watermelon seeds in my backyard and nothing grew, so i vote true
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 AM

i dont know. there is a debate today between organic and non-organic foods. how do i know who's right? ive existed only 20 yrs
Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I told this to my wife the other day and she said her coworker (who grows a lot of his own vegetables) told her that nowadays, if you planted the seeds you get out of store-bought fruits and vegetables, the plants that grow won't bear fruit b/c they've been genetically engineered that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true in some cases, but not others. Typically its because the plant is an F1 hybrid, corn is an excellent example. There is a wide variety of possibilities, you can have seeds which will grow plants with no fruit or with fruit that is of a lower quality. I currently have a dozen tomato plants in my yard from a store bought tomato which are already fruiting, and so far they are developing on par with my Burpee bought tomato seeds.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM

once, my friend Chucky swallowed a watermelon seed and my little friends and I had to shrink down, go inside his body, and try to destroy the seed before it grew and made him explode