Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: 10 years after OK Computer...

Like for many people in this thread, OK Computer served as a sort of a gateway for me to a lot of different music that I now really love. They were my favorite band 9 years ago and probably retain that title now, although it holds much less meaning for me than it used to.

Here is my favorite radiohead cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBMANXQqbTs John Mayer doing Kid A (couldnt find a performance vid, but this showcases the song nicely).

As far as the OK X covers, I read about them on Pitchfork and they have a nice article there for the tenth anniversary of this album. I like them, but not as much as radiodread and other covers I have heard. Good to listen to a few times but not much after that.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really dislike his voice. So whiny and ghey. Also, I don't like that "airy" sound that they have. They do have a couple songs which I enjoy moderately, and I can usually listen to bends without skipping too many songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

your artistic tastes and criticisms sound so refined. im shocked youre not reviewing music professionally.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed that I don't see any references to Gillian Welch's cover of Blackstar here:

Check it out on her Myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/gillianwelch

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Gillian rules, and so does this cover. Thanks for this. Really good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is [censored] awesome.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I go back and forth on which is my favorite b/w this and The Stone Roses, which I didn't actually acquire until after OK Computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second Coming? That was an great album.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really dislike his voice. So whiny and ghey. Also, I don't like that "airy" sound that they have. They do have a couple songs which I enjoy moderately, and I can usually listen to bends without skipping too many songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

your artistic tastes and criticisms sound so refined. im shocked youre not reviewing music professionally.

[/ QUOTE ]
Relax man, I don't like your band that much, no need to get defensive. OP asked for reasons why we may not like them. I gave them.
A. His voice is whiny and I dislike it
B. They don't rock

Also, if all music reviews were like mine above, they would only be slightly worse than they already are.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 PM

I like reviews that are blunt and to the point. One of my favorite sites other than 2p2 is pajiba.com and their movie reviews. "Scathing Reviews for Bitchy people" is the tagline, and i wish all mainstream critics would be as blunt as they are, movies, music, and everything included.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM

There's a cover of Just by Mark Ronson that works really well on a Scratch Perverts mix

There was also a Sia cover of Paranoid Android that I really liked, but it doesn't seem to be on her site anymore... I think it made a Radiohead covers album though

EDIT: oo http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exit-Music-Songs...4791&sr=8-1 has both of them on, though can't get amazon music player to work here
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM

It seems that a lot of people went from Radiohead completely away from guitar music. The first album I bought was Pablo Honey. OK Computer - doesn't do it for me. Played it a handful of times, that's it. Why do people like it over The Bends? Seemed to me that there were fewer great songs on it.

If I play a rock/guitar album, it'll be The Bends or something from Curve (same era, just more to my present-time tastes), and like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I can see Radiohead touring in 20 years time, and wanting to go...