Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: 10 years after OK Computer...

Slightly tangent, very amazing
Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM

I'm amazed that I don't see any references to Gillian Welch's cover of Blackstar here:

Check it out on her Myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/gillianwelch
Old 07-12-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't heard any band named "the next Radiohead" in years.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first two that come to mind right away are Travis ("Radiohead light") and Coldplay. If you mean that reviewers might have once made that comparison, but haven't in five or more years, ok I guess. If you mean that no such comparisons have been made, they're pretty widespread.

I freely admit that I didn't listen to all the songs listed, but it seems really stupid to say anybody reading the thread "missed the point" of the songs. Really? I don't understand why a band would cover these songs, or why these bands in particular would choose these particular songs? That's a pretty surprising comment from someone who doesn't recognize half of the bands and who doesn't like half the songs listed.

But maybe I completely missed every single significant aspect of the covers.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed that I don't see any references to Gillian Welch's cover of Blackstar here:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Gillian rules, and so does this cover. Thanks for this. Really good stuff.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There isn't a singer-songwriter of note today that doesn't list Radiohead as one of their heroes or influences.

It's been 10 years since OK Computer was released and while there's no shortage of Radiohead covers, Stereogum rounded up artists to cover the entire OK Computer album:
http://www.stereogum.com/okx/

The two-fold purpose of this thread is such:

1. What do you think of these covers?

2. If you are a big fan of Radiohead, what was it about them that made their music resonate so strongly with people? Is it the emotion from Thom Yorke's singing voice? Something about the themes in the music itself? The melodies or instruments or recording techniques? If you're not a big fan of their music, why doesn't it "work" for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. the covers do not do justice
2. i dont know why, when i listen to their songs i often daydream and get really imaginative.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The first two that come to mind right away are Travis ("Radiohead light") and Coldplay. If you mean that reviewers might have once made that comparison, but haven't in five or more years, ok I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I always thought Coldplay was supposed to be "the next Travis". I guess it didn't quite turn out that way.

I've also heard the "next Radiohead" label applied to The Beta Band, Starsailor, and Mansun, but this was indeed all more than five years ago.

But I'm glad to see this thread. I'm surprised this anniversary hasn't gotten more attention.

This is one of the few albums that truly changed my life. I can still remember listening to it eighteen times though the first weekend I had it, which was my first month of college. To this day, I still count it as one of my two favorite albums of all time...I go back and forth on which is my favorite b/w this and The Stone Roses, which I didn't actually acquire until after OK Computer.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't heard any band named "the next Radiohead" in years.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first two that come to mind right away are Travis ("Radiohead light") and Coldplay. If you mean that reviewers might have once made that comparison, but haven't in five or more years, ok I guess. If you mean that no such comparisons have been made, they're pretty widespread.

I freely admit that I didn't listen to all the songs listed, but it seems really stupid to say anybody reading the thread "missed the point" of the songs. Really? I don't understand why a band would cover these songs, or why these bands in particular would choose these particular songs? That's a pretty surprising comment from someone who doesn't recognize half of the bands and who doesn't like half the songs listed.

But maybe I completely missed every single significant aspect of the covers.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at your ignorance and hostility

Yes, I was saying no one has been called that in the last 5+ years. And the only people who ever thought Travis or Coldplay were ever going to be the next anything decent were probably NME, Rolling Stone, and the like.

And you missed the point because Steregum picked a number of bands that are all very different to play the covers. It's not that these bands did it freely and it's a compilation. And it's not that Stereogum picked these bands because they sound like "the next Radiohead."
Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 PM

I always thought this was a cool radiohead cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El3ivyKx2oo
Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Evan,

Awesome, Obadiah Parker rules. I'm guessing everyone has heard their "Hey Ya" cover but for those who havent check it out on youtube.

First impressions of the cover album warrants a second listen!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Gillian rules, and so does this cover. Thanks for this. Really good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, she is hard to beat. I never really liked women singers much, but I must say, I have went stages where all I have listened too for months is Gillian Welch. She is about as timeless as it comes.

On another note, although I thought OK computer was a great album, the bends was, I think, even better. Maybe the greatest guitar album of the last 15 years.