Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Carpal \\\'Tunnel Post: reviewing HH videos - an example

This is an example of a HH video review by myself and registrar, see this thread for an introduction and general advice on reviewing videos. The video in question is a $100 double stack MTT on Full Tilt with 550 runners and a $50k guaranteed prize pool.

Keep in mind that I’m not saying this is _the_ way to review a video, nor that we always advocate the best play. However, I do think it would be a good exercise, especially for new players, to see the hands we notice and why we believe they should have been played differently. And of course, I don’t follow my own advice in the other thread enough – practice what I preach etc [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The video can be found here:

Viewer Only Version:
http://www.pokerxfactor.com/HH52689/...0070325_163611
Hand History Analyzer Version:
http://www.pokerxfactor.com/HA52689/...25_163611/2854

While I’m at it, I’d like to commend registrar for putting a lot of effort into his video reviews – this is one of several he’s done of my videos. Outstanding work, I truly think reg is one of the better thinkers here, and unappreciated at that. Probably because he’s British and uh, old [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The comments are raw, I haven’t edited them at all – so you may disagree at some points, they will be short and unexplained here and there (especially my own notes). I think it’s better to be honest and not disguise hands I played poorly to look better. Any and all comments are of course appreciated, although this isn’t about me wanting feedback.

<font color="blue">Own notes</font>
For the last few reviews, I’ve taken to doing my own notes first, before I review registrar’s. This is just to compare and see if I spot hands he doesn’t and vice versa, and if we agree about everything. Reviewing your own HH in this manner is a fine learning experience, and frankly I was surprised at how much I noticed that I disagreed with in my own play. I’m sure this comes from paying attention 100%, whereas while I’m playing I often multitable a lot/do other stuff, at least when I’m not deep.

I intended to show these notes to registrar, but never came around to it. In case you wondered why it seems like I’m talking to someone, it’s not myself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Hand 27: </font> possibly raise on the flop for a free turn

<font color="red">Hand 30: </font> meh limp w A9s UTG

<font color="red">Hand 39: </font> possibly bet turn, but villain is station so check is prolly fine

<font color="red">Hand 41: </font> easy fold

<font color="red">Hand 57: </font> hem haw, not sure about this one, guy was a station…edit: after looking at the hand he went out (hand 68), I’m not sure I like that much…but at the time, my thinking was he was a station, but would probably fold to pure aggression without a biggish piece of the flop – which he mostly likely didn’t have. Can’t remember, but I had a distinct feeling from the way he played it that he had middle pair on the flop. Honestly I rarely do stuff like this, especially not versus this type of player. You just get called too often and feel really silly afterwards. I think I was slightly on tilt as well, lol. I had gone out of 3 other MTTs pushing big PPs (JJ, QQ, KK) vs bigger PPs (QQ, KK, AA). Not too good a reason, but there you have it. It wasn’t a mindless tilt push though &amp;#61514;

<font color="red">Hand 62: </font> like it mucho

<font color="red">Hand 64: </font> a bit passive maybe, but aggro dude so fair enough

<font color="red">Hand 81: </font> don’t like a raise too much here with J9s vs a short BB that just pushed twice from EP. Still, the hand doesn’t play too badly vs his pushing range probably.

<font color="red">Hand 160: </font>might have considered flat calling there, seeing how aggro the guy is postflop.

<font color="red">Hand 175: </font>bit passive (flat called w AQo in BB), but I prefer it to raising deep vs EP raiser.

<font color="red">Hand 189: </font>wtf, why fold?

<font color="red">Hand 190: </font>raise vs tighty BB

<font color="red">Hand 211: </font>really borderline call, even vs despo shorty

<font color="red">Hand 222: </font>don’t like it w Ax here, too likely to be restolen

<font color="red">Hand 236: </font>I remember being pissed at this hand and his call with KJ. Chances are waaaaay too big that he’s dominated, but he called anyway. Bah. Whine-O-Rama [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Hand 241: </font>after watching a HH from Rizen yesterday (a recent one, live recording of FT freeze-out + Stars 50 1r+a), I’ve realized that I need to focus even more on finding where my chips need to come from than before. Got a loose big stack to the left and a calling station to his left? Don’t raise the button if you don’t mean business. Got a complete rock two to their left? Raise his BB instead. This goes double if you’re a big stack – I think I underestimate how much many players fear you (obviously, identifying the ones who don’t care is important).

With that in mind, I think I should raise lots of hands when Nuggz20 is in the BB – he’s insanely tight. This hand in particular might not be the best spot, since stakklr was a good player (way insane ROI, but most of it from an FTOPS event) and might conceivably get it in with a fairly wideish range here (although I doubt he’d do it very light, since I’ve haven’t raised that much and he’s got ~no FE). Likewise, AHighRoller seems like an excellent target, but he’s kinda obvious anyway, being in the BB when I’m the CO. Don’t like Doggfather being the SB there though, but thankfully he doesn’t really have a pushable restealing stack, and it’s a bit awkward to raise-resteal if I call.

Anyway, this got a bit long and rambly. What are your thoughts on this?

<font color="red">Hand 256: </font>it’s possible I should have pushed here, but I felt his stack was a tad too small there to take a chance with an utter garbage hand.

<font color="red">Hand 273: </font>is there any way you’re not betting this flop?

<font color="red">Hand 312: </font>I was pretty goddamn sure he’d SNG with lots of stuff there, so instacall.

<font color="red">Hand 330: </font>nice place for a resteal.

<font color="red">Hand 340-350: </font>argh, so many wasted steal opportunities, counted 3. You’re right, I’m too tight short-handed still.

<font color="red">Hand 381: </font>don’t like the push w 24 BBs.

<font color="red">Hand 443: </font>borderline, but ok.

<font color="red">Hand 462: </font>shoulda bet flop, preflop call = borderline

<font color="red">Hand 465: </font>ugh. Looks like an obvious value bet, but can’t fold vs him.

<font color="red">Hand 479: </font>he moaned “every time” that one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Heads-up: </font> although it’s a rather unique HU, I didn’t write any comments at the time. I didn’t think there was much to say really, plus it was really fresh in my mind. I don’t think I would have done much differently.

<font color="blue"><u>registrar’s notes</u></font>
Below are registrar’s notes, with my replies (and here and there, his replies to my reply). Reg’s notes are in <font color="black">black</font> while mine are in <font color="red">red</font>.

Hand 25: I think if you post this, you get told off but I like a fold there.

<font color="red">By PO (I use PokerOffice), he hadn't done anything at all yet. I don't like calling here much either, since I can't see following through without hitting an ace or a queen, and pushing will only get called by AK, QQ+ I think, maaaaaaybe JJ. Especially from someone who's been tight (although admittedly, it's early). </font>

Hand 27: I’d probably raise the flop there in position but I never know if
this is a good idea.

<font color="red">Yeah agreed, wrote the same thing in my own review. </font>

Hand 32: I lose much more here. Nice hand.

<font color="red">Thanks. I was mostly frozen a bit by pokerstud's raise - this was the first hand he had played all tourney, meaning I'm more likely to interpret his 2.5x bet as wanting action. When the tight BB reraises pretty small, I was pretty set on not following through on most flops, depending on the action. As it turned out, pokerstud was not at all tight. </font>

Hand 44: Raise

<font color="red">Fair enough, but I don't think it's a big mistake to not raise here. </font>

#57: very nice – thought processes?

<font color="red">hem haw, not sure about this one, guy was a station…edit: after looking at the hand he went out (hand 68), I’m not sure I like that much…but at the time, my thinking was he was a station, but would probably fold to pure aggression without a biggish piece of the flop – which he mostly likely didn’t have. Can’t remember, but I had a distinct feeling from the way he played it that he had middle pair on the flop. Honestly I rarely do stuff like this, especially not versus this type of player. You just get called too often and feel really silly afterwards. I think I was slightly on tilt as well, lol. I had gone out of 3 other MTTs pushing big PPs (JJ, QQ, KK) vs bigger PPs (QQ, KK, AA). Not too good a reason, but there you have it. It wasn’t a mindless tilt push though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

registrar’s reply - he's on the flush draw, IMO, but showing your hand would be bad. I like this hand a lot. He's not got a jack or queen ever.

#59: that’s another one I probably lead.

<font color="red">Hm. Board was kinda scary with limpers, and Lefty was an aggro tool. I think check-folding is ok here. </font>

Registar’s reply: not leading isn't bad but I think you need to think about the times that through a combination of having the best hand or no one else having a hand, leading from the blinds can be profitable in a limped pot. Stick in 120 here and see what happens. The board is not ideal but you're not supid enough to stack off here it's 120 chips to win 200 somewhat less than half the time so it's not +EV but it's close enough. Also, persuading people you'll lead [censored] from the blinds on rag flops is good for metagame.

#112: nice. I probably pop him pre-flop to see how he reacts. His position raises and limping are getting on my nerves.

<font color="red">Yeah he was annoying. I think both lines are ok here. </font>

#116: how large a bet do you call on the turn?

<font color="red">Vs this guy, I might honestly have called any bet up to and including a push - he was way aggro and would have pushed any two pair here I'm sure. Any bet by him is basically a push here anyway, I can't see him laying it down after putting in 2/3s of his stack. It's a hard one though, but I think he was capable of pushing with less than an ace, particularly since there's a good chance I don't have one with my preflop flat call. </font>

#118: if the BB was shorter, it’s tempting to limp there, with the short stacks itching to push.

<font color="red">Yeah agree, there were some aggro shorties here. </font>

#175: if I’m folding to a c-bet, I might lead for 800 or so with a gutshot.
I think he folds often enough to make that profitable and, if he calls, you
usually get two more cards and have perhaps 10 outs.

<font color="red">Agree, although he was aggro a lead here would probably freeze him a lot of the time unless he's got the goods. </font>

Registrar’s reply: This is similar to 58. I think this is more of a lead but I suppose my point is that, overall, a willingness to make marginal moves/leads from the blinds can really pay off big. Everyone is used to being check-raised (nuts or nothing) or called (nuts or something) but people don't know what to do with a flop lead and the dynamic of stacks and pots means that you have the option of a stacking three bet when you do have the goods. Each time you don't have the goods, you make it more likely you get action when you do.

#212: ?

<font color="red">Heh, I limped hoping to induce a push here - a bit FPS'ish, but if he pushed I was pretty sure to be ahead. Didn't work out too good [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I don't think he would have flat called a raise a lot here anyway, so a standard raise would be preferrable. </font>

registrar’s reply:The limp is OK but bet the flop.

#230 I think I raise there.

<font color="red">Yeah I like it too. SB is aggro but will fold ~never raise with air here, and BB is tight as hell. OR is pretty loose, so a raise will likely take it down, while not being too hopeless if he flat calls either.This is what I love about getting hand reviews - I missed this one going over it myself. Thanks. </font>

<font color="red"> Hand 241: after watching a HH from Rizen yesterday (a recent one, live recording of FT freeze-out + Stars 50 1r+a), I’ve realized that I need to focus even more on finding where my chips need to come from than before. Got a loose big stack to the left and a calling station to his left? Don’t raise the button if you don’t mean business. Got a complete rock two to their left? Raise his BB instead. This goes double if you’re a big stack – I think I underestimate how much many players fear you (obviously, identifying the ones who don’t care is important).

With that in mind, I think I should raise lots of hands when Nuggz20 is in the BB – he’s insanely tight. This hand in particular might not be the best spot, since stakklr was a good player (way insane ROI, but most of it from an FTOPS event) and might conceivably get it in with a fairly wideish range here (although I doubt he’d do it very light, since I’ve haven’t raised that much and he’s got ~no FE). Likewise, AHighRoller seems like an excellent target, but he’s kinda obvious anyway, being in the BB when I’m the CO. Don’t like Doggfather being the SB there though, but thankfully he doesn’t really have a pushable restealing stack, and it’s a bit awkward to raise-resteal if I call.

Anyway, this got a bit long and rambly. What are your thoughts on this? </font>

Registar’s reply: Yes, in general, I agree, especially with solid but not great players. Move up, though, and you get attacked when you're attacking.

<font color="red">Hand 273: is there any way you’re not betting this flop?</font>

Registrar’s reply: No. If I've raised that hand, I'm c-betting any flop. Checking rather than c-betting is reserved for terrible flops (this isn't) and hands that have showdown value.

304/305: your stack magically doubles. Maybe I should play FTP?

<font color="red">lol, told you FTP was nice [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Looked over the HH, it seems the hand I doubled up is just plain missing. There are two separate files here, so probably last hand on old table got lost or something. </font>

324: nice

<font color="red">thanks. </font>

330; there’s some missing, so I don’t have good reads, but looks like a good
spot for a resteal.

<font color="red">Yup, it was. </font>

336: that’s a call. I don’t like it much but as I’d call one, I’ll call both getting great odds with high suited connectors.

<font color="red">equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 32.083% 29.85% 02.23% 3609292 269974.50 { 22+, A8s+, KQs, A9o+, KQo }
Hand 1: 40.394% 38.37% 02.02% 4640004 244114.00 { 77+, AJs+, KQs, AJo+ }
Hand 2: 27.523% 25.92% 01.60% 3134230 193717.50 { KQs }

2.33:1 odds, 2.23:1 pot odds. Heh. Guess this is close and probably worth it to try and get rid of some guys. Having 120k won't be much of a hindrance, so I see calling as ok. </font>

General comment by registrar: Poissble raises 340 onwards (these depend on table feel, who's in the blinds etc. and image but I would consider raising the following: 342, 344, 345, (of course then more likley to get action in 346) 347, 354, 355.

360: There’s a whole load of hands before this that I raise and this one I probably shove.

<font color="red">I don't really see too many, if any, hands I could have raised from 351 (where tables consolidated) through 360? Possibly 355 (KJs UTG+1), possibly 358 (SB vs semi-tight BB with 36o, but I felt like I had abused him too much, think I pushed every hand before this when folded to me in SB). Agree with 340-350 though - counted 3 that I should have raised there (shorthanded table). Bad Lars! I don't think 360 is a shove, 3 left to speak and I'm not far ahead of his range if at all. </font>

380: close to a shove as well.

<font color="red"> Hem, not too sure about that. Let's say OR's raise range is 66+,ATs+,KJs+,QJs,ATo+,KQo - about 10% of all hands. His calling range is probably 3%, about 1/3 (TT+,AK) of the time, in which case we're crushed (2.2:1). Although 2nd raiser is pretty loose, I don't think he's shoving too light here - say 77+,AJs+,AQo or so, possibly KQs. </font>

Reply by registrar: I'll leave the Maths to you. As far as I see it, OR folds a lot of what he's raising and we get HU in the pot with a huge overlay and not a bad hand. OR is going to find it really hard to call two pushes for his ZOMG TL. His calling range, IMO, this late on is JJ+, AK. You might want to post this one. My maths is sketchy. I just see a lot of chips in the pot and a chance to shove OR out. It might not be +EV - I'd be interested to see.

393: I shove there. Villain open raises 2/3 of his opportunities

<font color="red">Yeah. </font>

412: raise those pretties!

<font color="red">Yup</font>

421: is awkward because of BS in BB but you have to do something. A min iso
raise is nice here.

<font color="red">Yeah agreed, way too tight. </font>

443: ?

<font color="red">At the time, I remember thinking button hadn’t raised in like whenever – but in hindsight, this was due to FatFish being insanely active, so he didn’t have the chance to open raise like ever. Restealing here is obviously good. </font>

445: ?

<font color="red">Bit more meh, but yeah I should have raised the shorty’s BB more. </font>

455: VNH

<font color="red">Thanks – Fish typed ‘nb’ in the chat and folded here. I’m pretty pleased with how I played vs him all-around actually…</font>

457: I think I bet smaller on the flop because there’s room for a 3bet push.

<font color="red">Yeah I need to consider pot size vs stack sizes more – I wasn’t ever folding whatever he did here (apart from maybe flat calling and pushing a blank turn), but a smaller bet would have been more appropriate here. </font>

460: can’t let his guy win easy pots so I resteal again here.

<font color="red">Yeah that’s nice, especially with the now big stack. </font>

<font color="red">Hand 462: shoulda bet flop, preflop call = borderline</font>

465: lead the flop and never bet the turn

<font color="red">Yeah I cringed when watching this replay…</font>

468: wtf?

<font color="red">No defense here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]</font>

470: I call there but a fold is much better.

<font color="red">I think so too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

472: another tricky one, I prolly iso-min but BS isn’t stupid, hate the flat call, really tricky

<font color="red">My thinking was, if any of them raised they probably had a good hand, but duh. I might post this. </font>

475: shove

<font color="red">Yah, although I think it’s fairly close. </font>

478: instashove

<font color="red">Same. </font>

General comment by registrar: Wow – I’ve never seen a heads up like this but I’m not sure what else you can do.

<font color="red">Yeah I was pretty freaked out – who plays that passively when I have ~10 BBs? So weird. Problem was, I got nothing but _utter_ crap hands all the time – even too bad HU. Bah. Would have played way more aggro otherwise. </font>

501: I probably call there. Well, I dunno – he plays weird so maybe not. I call normally with a small stack and two broadway.

<font color="red">Normally, I would have instapushed with 12 BBs. But I was totally freaked out by his play here, lol. I’m not that used to HU, and he was insanely passive. </font>

Overall, I really liked the way you played this. I still think you’re a bit tight short-handed. Kings on the button is always a raise, for example. But some really nice hands in here. VGG.

<font color="red">Thanks, I agree that I’m still too tight short-handed, especially with the big stack I had most of the tourney. I’m pretty pleased with the FT play though – not a lot of big mistakes and some good resteals. Obviously got lucky to get 2nd that easily.

Anyway, thanks for yet another outstanding review – really appreciate the effort you put into this, which I think is more than most. </font>