Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Screw it All, I\'m Going Pro

Thanks guys again for all the advice.

My woman is great to me, she's so totally on board it's mind boggling. She really just wants me to be happy, and sees that I'm not satisfied with the way my life is playing out.

The fact that I don't have any children and that I feel I could easily get back into the rat race after a year if I hate things (or legislation goes south) makes it feel less risky to me. I'm more or less looking to chase a dream one time in my life, and if I fail I'll just return to the 9 to 5 grind. (more like 8 to 6, but heh).

I've skipped work and played poker plenty of times, and I do find the games tougher during the day - but not *that* bad.

I certainly have aspirations to move up the ladder and win it big, but it's not a short term goal for me. I'm not looking to be the next hot thing or anything, I just want to make a comfortable living doing fun work when/where I want. Clearing over 5k/month feels doable to me (especially if I'm really focused on it), and that would represent a raise compared to my current job.

Thanks again guys for all the advice and kind words - it *does* make a difference knowing at the very least, a bunch of online degens are rooting for me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 25 years old, and I have a job as an electrical/software engineer. I went into the field because I was good at math/science, and I honestly saw it as a "backup plan." I wanted a degree so I could pursue other dreams while having something solid to fall back on. I also play guitar, and I have been in bands for the last ~10 years. I still play 2 to 3 nights a week with my current band. I hate my job and everyday I seriously consider just quitting and "going pro." I have been with my girlfriend now for 5 years, and we also own a house together. She would support any decision I make. I digress...

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like a super cool A+ guy to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, to the guy that said 4k/month is not the same as making 50k/year. I mean, I realize it comes out to 48k obviously, and I'm aware of taxes, but I pay taxes *now*. It's not like when I say I make 50k I mean my take home, that's my pretax salary.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Dude, I would seriously consider getting at least a part time job or something to supplement poker income. At least until you prove to yourself (and your wife) that you can consistently earn a decent wage playing poker. If you are beating the game pretty well after six months or so, then you could probably talk her into quitting your part time. Also, like another poster said, you need to find a social outlet. At first it will seem cool to be at the crib every day playing poker, not having to deal with your a$$hole co=workers, but after a few weeks, you might start to get depressed b/c of the isolation. Also it would be a good idea to exercise regularly, as this will help keep your mind and body in a good place. Hey, if you decide to do it, best of luck. I'd love to hear you tell us in a year that you are pwning 50/100 and bought your wifey a phat stone.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 PM

I went "pro" this month (April 1st), and so far so good.

I have a similar approach, approx 4 hrs daily. The last few days I played 2 two hour shifts. I think its fine and I dont see myself getting burnt out because now I have so much time for gym/family/friends/fun.

I still have some issues that I need to work on, and as the months go by, with a lot of discipline, I think I will deffinitely overcome them.

My biggest fear is that during breakeven/losing streches it will affect my mood both on and off the tables. Any suggestions for this anyone who has done it before?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 PM

dude 5k per mon is not a raise. you are disconting taxes and benefits. (unless of course you make 50k post taxes.)
Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 PM

cheer -

Maybe I'm missing something obvious. My tax bracket will not change based on my type of work, so whether or not I make 50k doing IT work or 50k playing cards, it's the same thing right? My taxable income is the same, as is the amount of tax I would have to pay? Also, my only meaningful benefits are health care, and I can get on my woman's plan for probably less than I'm paying today. We don't do 401k matching here or other stuff.

5k * 12 = 60k - that is a raise, no? Help me understand...
Old 04-04-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5k * 12 = 60k - that is a raise, no? Help me understand...

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the reason why you're thinking about going pro anyway, is it? 48k, 50k, etc... seems like splitting hairs here. You go pro, you take further control of your life, and only have yourself and your woman to answer to. This will likely lead to other paths in the future. Don't waste your time with responses dealing with tiny monetary differences.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Oh, yah - I agree 100%, it's not a monetary thing, it's a life satisfaction thing. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something blatantly obvious I was just failing to grasp is all.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your line of work something that you can easily get back into later in life?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can anser this question. The answer is no. If OP has submitted his 2-weeks notice, he'll be a dinaosaur in 6 months.

FishSticks, I know you said that you want encouragement, as if to say the wheels are in motion and there's no turning back now. Even still, sometimes in life you think what you need is encouragement, but what you really need is a hard slap in the face.

I'm not saying you'll fail, and in fact I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 PM

Fish,

I believe you will be paying significantly more in taxes than with your current job because you will be self-employed. You will need to look into this ASAP as I believe you are expected to make estimated payments quarterly, otherwise you will face fees.