Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 AM

Default \"Chop chop.\" ORLY?

Tonight at the Commerce 20, there was a hand where the board on the turn was (757)5. Player A bet, player B raised, A 3-bet, B 4-bet, and A called.

While dealing the river, the dealer said "leave your chips in front of you please, chop chop." Then she dealt the river and it went check-check. Player A showed a 5, player B showed a 7 and took the pot, upset about losing a bet.

THEN, another dealer about an hour later dealt a hand I was involved in which you can read about here and did the same thing. Luckily it didn't cost me anything because I never stopped raising.

In my opinion this is terrible. Dealers should in no way assume a pot is going to be chopped and affect the action. Do your job, dealers, and scoop in the chips. If that means you have to chop it up again after the hand, then too damn bad, that's what you're paid to do. But don't cost players bets. Sure, it's the players' responsibility to keep raising with the nuts even if it's clear they're chopping, but the dealer shouldn't be encouraging anything or even pointing out the possibility of a chop.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Re: \"Chop chop.\" ORLY?

I routinely see players doing this at the table. They need to get a penalty for this. It is so goddamned egregious. ONE PLAYER TO A HAND OH MY GOD
Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 AM

I agree,

but notice that in a high low game the players will throw a tantrum if the dealer brings in the bets once it gets heads up.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While dealing the river, the dealer said "leave your chips in front of you please, chop chop."

[/ QUOTE ]

What did she imagine they were going to do with those chips? Of course they're going to leave them right there. What, are they going to pull them back and bet them again???

By the way, I'll often leave the chips in front of players if it looks like a probable chop--but I'll keep my mouth shut about it.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:42 AM

She might have said "I leave your chips in front of you, chop chop" and I missed the "I" part. Her English was poor.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
agree,

but notice that in a high low game the players will throw a tantrum if the dealer BREATHES

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM

Player B goofed by being too lazy to bet and blames the dealer?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree,

but notice that in a high low game the players will throw a tantrum if the dealer brings in the bets once it gets heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but i think in a high low game its different, as pots are chopped 1/2 for a different reason. This is a just a convenience in a hi/lo game as many pots are chopped.

I don't agree with players throwing tantrums over it but it does make sense to do in Hi/Lo games where in OP's example it is not the same thing
Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM

If I have the 7 there I'm still betting and if he raises me back I'll consider just calling. The dealer was out of line IMO saying chop chop.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 AM

pressuring them to slow down for likely chops just sucks.
Not only can the one guy be going stupid with a 5....he could also have quad 5's and not want the lone-7 guy to slow-down at all.
Yeah, they could both have a 7 too. But there actually ARE other possibilities out there. So the dealer sucks for not shutting up.