Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 PM

Default I always feel like crap after playing

If I go a whole day without poker, I feel great. If I play, I feel so lethargic afterwards. You guys feel the same way?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: I always feel like crap after playing

i do actually suffer from terrible migraines after i play for even just a few hours.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:30 PM

You're probably just being mentally drained. Do you do much 'brainwork' in your every day life? Stuff like accounting or computer work. If not your mind is probably just a bit soft or lazy and it'll adapt if you keep working it, just like a muscle. But hey, I'm no brain surgeon so maybe it's something else entirely.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Makes sense. I'm a full time student that tries to avoid poker altogether until the semester is over, because I know I'll fail otherwise. But I recently started playing again after a couple weeks at the beach, so my mind hasn't done much work past thinking about booze and women.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably just being mentally drained. Do you do much 'brainwork' in your every day life? Stuff like accounting or computer work. If not your mind is probably just a bit soft or lazy and it'll adapt if you keep working it, just like a muscle. But hey, I'm no brain surgeon so maybe it's something else entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have the opposite take on the brain is a muscle theory. I read one of those Dale Carnegie books that said your brain works efficient regardless of rest. What fatigues the sedentary worker isn't mental fatigue, but emotional fatigue, primarily stress. Stress wears out your body. You aren't stressed by the work you do, you're stressed out by the work you don't do and that piles up.
I find poker very stressful and the more I play the worse it gets. I haven't gotten into the habit of scheduling days of rest as a stress break.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:42 AM

Unless you are making a ton of $ why are you playing? If it makes you feel crappy either focus on the points you enjoy or quit.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:03 AM

I have this same problem. I have attributed it to my nervousness/anxiety at the table which when experienced for an extended period of time can cause migraines. When playing online, this is exacerbated by staring at cpu screen for hours.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 AM

I have the same problem I always feel like crap after playing poker because I Always drop 7-10 buy in's Busto !!