Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 04:44 AM

Default kinda tilting, than after the session wanted input about this play.

Seat 1: ovcreata ($3.50)
Seat 2: mana013 ($14.35)
Seat 3: ALFIECONKER ($11.20)
Seat 4: enjoue ($0), is sitting out
Seat 5: Tomp83 ($3.75)
Seat 6: ssharo ($7)
Seat 7: jc678 ($4.30)
Seat 8: Cadmir ($1.75)
Seat 9: rashoman ($15.20)

Full Tilt Poker ($0.05/$0.10 Pot Limit Omaha H/L) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG+1 calls .10, Hero calls .10, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises .55</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls .55, BB calls .55, UTG+1 calls .55, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises 3.30</font>, MP3 calls 2.75, SB calls 1.20, BB folds, UTG+1 calls 2.75.

Flop: (23.5 SB) [7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, UTG+1 calls.

Basically, I seen the size of the stacks of the .55 callers all but 1 small. I'm new to omaha and i am following a strict rule on playing hands. Is this a playable hand and if so do i wanna play it cheapily or is it a good move to get it in preflop in THIS position?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: kinda tilting, than after the session wanted input about this play

I'm pretty new to this game, but that seems spewy. The hand is marginal, and perhaps you could play it if you get in cheaply in late position. Re-raising with 5 people left to act seems like a poor move to me.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:04 AM

It's a hand to play cheaply for set/FH value, unless it's folded to you on the button or something in which case you can open-raise if you feel like it (though I don't). I would expect that MP3 will often have AAxx here, which makes the limp-reraise really questionable. If he 4-bets it's safe to assume you're a big dog. Still, I see he didn't cap it, so maybe he doesn't have AAxx.
Whether flop bet is OK sorta depends on how likely I think it is that MP3 has AAxx. If the lack of a 4-bet preflop means that MP3 doesn't have AAxx, then this flop bet is OK, since opponents are somewhat unlikely to have a 7 in hand and therefore you are probably good for high.
Anyway, overall I don't like it. Flop play maybe OK, preflop play is bad.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:41 AM

[3s,6h,Kh,Kd] in middle position, you are spewing chips with this hand.
(a) You don't have a viable low hand &amp; what you have for low has no back-up cards.
(b) You have a pp[K] and second nut flush combination. Your beginning prospects are very weak.

I would auto-fold this garbage to save money to bet on a real hand. Omaha hands have 6 possible working combinations. This hand starts with only three &amp; they all start weak. It's a very flop specific type of hand.

After you limp, there is a raise &amp; you call. The majority of players who raise PLO8b, have [A,L,L,x] or [A,A,L,x] so any board containing two or more low cards will put you in a position to be drawing for 1/2 the pot. Since there was a pre-flop raise, there is a good chance you will pay-off with your over-pair, and get none of the pot.

Going 5-handed to the flop, you're in terrible shape with your hand. With the above flop, you will be putting money in and basically "HOPING" to get your money back.

Playing 'hoping' poker is a loser's approach. If you want to play those kinds of hands, let me know when you'll be at the table. I'd like to get some of your money.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: kinda tilting, than after the session wanted input about this play.

Bad hand, bad position, bad flop.

1. The hand is bad. You need an ace on the flop for just about any chance for low, and that wrecks your kings. Of course you may from time to time win with this hand, but generally you are going put money in up front, only to have no real opportunity to play the hand out.

2. Low draw gets flopped. Plus a pair, and various straight draws. You may be ahead, but you'll never know it until you spike a K, or perhaps a 7, but do you really want to be in that spot? The pot is bluff proof. Check here and hope that others check behind. Heads up, way different story, where a modest bet may often take the pot, but many drawing hands simply aren't going to fold here.

3. In Omaha/8 there are many situations where you have the best hand, but are still drawing on the negative side for it to hold up. Case in point, make the flop 3h,4h, Kc and put some heavy action in front and behind you. Do you want to go all-in? Any A 2 5 6 7 and you're looking at losing the whole pot or drawing at the turn for 1/2 the pot. Half your hearts are going to make a low so you're non-nut flush draw is crappy.

4. You want to play high pairs, at least stick to things like TQKK type, were you can really get the best of it with flops like J 9 K.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: kinda tilting, than after the session wanted input about this play.

make the flop 3h,4h, Kc and put some heavy action in front and behind you. Do you want to go all-in?

Yes. Even if opponents have A256 and A234 suited in hearts, you still have 29% pot equity, so it's too late to fold. There are also various hand matchups, like A233 and A256 for opponents (not suited in hearts) that give you quite a bit more equity.
Of course you actually want to wait for a good turn card to get it all-in if you flop top set with two low cards, but if you have two villains you may not have that option.