FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Help ItalianFX Choose
Lindsey 29 22.83%
Brittany 11 8.66%
Lindsay 52 40.94%
Renee 35 27.56%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]
There is, of course, Bowl money to worry about, too. Ugh. This will never get done.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think there would be money in a playoff?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In an eight-team playoff they can still backdoor their way in, and that's bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. all year long I think we've had one team trying to out-backdoor the other to get back into the race.
I forget the order but it was just silly with each 1 or 2 team losing week after week and 2 other teams 'backdooring' their way into the chase only because somebody else lost.

It doesn't make it exciting for me. I just think it's kind of stupid. I like the games enough as it is but all this stuff of "USF loses and now BC is in the picture...BC loses and now Oregon is in the picture...Oregon loses and now Kansas is in the picture...LSU loses, again, and now WV is in the picture" blah blah blah.

It's non-stop backdooring and you still have OSU hoping they get to backdoor their way in if OU can knock of Mizzou.

So I don't really have a problem with LSU backdooring their way in to a 4 team or 8 team playoff. I feel like it's happening every single week.
You will simply have a situation of 2 losses still being realistically good enough to stay in the title chase. Losing 3 games and you are most certainly out.
A BCS team losing only 1 game all year pretty much gets to stay in the picture more often than not although you will have some situations like KU right now who would likely not make the cut.

Anyway, my preference would actually be for 16 teams in a college playoff.
Give teams like HAW, BSU and maybe even BYU a chance.
I think it would be tremendously exciting. If they get blown out by LSU or OSU by 45 points then no biggie. Not really different than Duke winning their first round basketball game by 45 points.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is, of course, Bowl money to worry about, too. Ugh. This will never get done.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bowl money argument is so absurd.

You could still have all the non-bcs bowls, the Motor city bowl wouldn't be any more meaningless than it already is. It wouldn't devalue their product one bit.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:55 AM

One thing I'd really like to see is to only allow computer rankings that publish their formula. I'm a little leery currently of how couched in secrecy all of them except one are, transparency is a good thing.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bowl money argument is so absurd.

You could still have all the non-bcs bowls, the Motor city bowl wouldn't be any more meaningless than it already is. It wouldn't devalue their product one bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's gonna come down to how to spread the BCS money out, you don't want to give it to the same team in the semi's and the finals. I think that would be absurd, but it can obviously be fixed.

FTW, all I want to see is a +1 and that is all. I love the bowl system and wouldn't want anything to ever have it taken away from NCAAF. So do a 4 team playoff to make everyone happy and stop there please. I think they are just afraid that if they concede that then when will they be forced to concede a 6 team with a top 2 bye week or a 8 team playoffs, ect.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:21 AM

I'd love to see an 8 team playoff. 6 BCS Conference champions. The 2 extra spots go to 1. Any other undefeated team, then 2. The best available team as determined by whatever formula is deemed best to determine the best at large team.

I just think this would be very fun. Also, throw in home field advantage for the first 2 games. I'd love to see USC or Florida try to come to the Big House or the Horseshoe and win a game in December.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:45 AM

meh...play the opening rounds at the current bowl games. Even call them the bowls if you like.

So the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowls are semi-finals one year..etc etc.

You have so many teams that you are pulling out of major BCS bowls and just abandoning those bowls or giving them 2nd place teams just so you can have the games played on home-field would hurt more than it would help.
People are attached to the bowl-system in some ways and rightly so thus you want to try to keep that if you can.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 AM

8 teams would be ideal, but would never happen. 4 teams is more feasible. The 5th place team will bitch that they shoulda made it, but so would the 8th team in an 8 team playoff. Hell, the 66th ranked basketball team usually whines about not making the tourney.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 AM

1) Put another team in the Big Televen and give them a championship game to balance out that mess.

2) Keep the BCS. Keep the bowls. The conference winners have at it in all the bowl games.

3) After the bowls, do an additional BCS standings.

4) Now select the #1 and #2 teams to play in the NCG.

So, in effect, your bowl games become your playoffs, and the winners can have at it in the championship game. You keep the bowl games so the bowl$$ is fine, and you only add one game to the schedule so it kills the playoffs=too many games argument.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 AM

The problem with having an only 4 team playoff is that there aren't enough major bowl games as this system would yield only 3 major bowls. Currently the BSC has 4 major bowls and then the championship a week later, 5 total major bowls.

With an 8 team playoff, play 4 major bowls as scheduled around New years Day and then the 4 winners play the next week and then the championship game the following week, 6 major bowls, every year rotating the bowls.