Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:26 AM

Default BR management issues

I'm having a problem getting much of a bankroll going. I know I have some holes in my game and i fully admit that. I also think it might have something to do with not playing in the same type of game consistantly. what i mean is i can pick from 3-6 limit, 1-2 nl ($60-$200 buy in), or 2-5nl($200-$500bi) I enjoy limit but can't getting any consistancy going. If i lose a bit i try 1-2nl I might make a bit in that then lose and go back to 3-6. Is it better to take a game and stick with it untill you "build" off of that. I think i can do it in 3-6 but is it possible to build any kind of br off of that low a limit? anyone done it? well that was a lot of rambling but i hope i made "some" sense
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: BR management issues

This post doesn't belong here but I"m not sure where it should be.

I did it, fwiw. Several times, actually.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:48 AM

i didn't think it did but i had no idea where to go. i figured there would be a br section somwhere but i can't find it. and ty
Old 11-21-2007, 02:51 AM

main reason i put it on here was it's b & m not concerned with only br management
Old 11-21-2007, 03:48 AM

i dont think it matters all that much which game u play since game selection at lower limits isnt necessary. however, limit and no limit play like day and night so i'd only be worried with taking some bad habits from limit to NL and vise versa

edit: by bad habits i dont mean poor play but that there are profitable plays in limit that are -EV in NL
Old 11-21-2007, 04:32 AM

One think I have seen is people having trouble building bankrolls because of tournaments. They grind and then take a break with an MTT and then go back to the grind and tally up at the end of a period and see they are no better off. Tournament play is always lose, lose, lose, lose, big score and if you mix this in with your cash play your overall bankroll is going to be dependent on that big MTT score. So if you are a cash game player wanting to build a cash game bankroll, either stay away from donkaments or fund them from a different source. Since different levels and types of cash games have different variance patterns, playing them from the same bankroll will lead to muddled results as well.

You can certainly build a bankroll off any game or any limit, but at different speeds based on the size of the game and your edge in it.

I suggest you get to a basic approach. Pick a game and level, establish a starting bankroll and target bankroll and stay the course until you get it done. Keep records.

Treat yourself to a change of pace game from another pot of money and spend your winnings there on your girlfriend.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One think I have seen is people having trouble building bankrolls because of tournaments. They grind and then take a break with an MTT and then go back to the grind and tally up at the end of a period and see they are no better off. Tournament play is always lose, lose, lose, lose, big score and if you mix this in with your cash play your overall bankroll is going to be dependent on that big MTT score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick related point.

One thing you can do is mix in some play in tournaments with smaller fields that are appropriate for your bankroll. That way you shouldn't go long periods without some reasonable scores (although you will never hit a big one).

I'm mostly a 3/5 and 5/10 fixed buy NL player so tournaments with about five to twenty tables and $150 to $300 total buy-ins seem about right. Since they usually take only four to six hours I can top off a day of ring game play with a tournament when I'm in the mood.

~ Rick
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM

The right place for this is in the Beginer's Questions forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people there, especially on the topic of bankroll management. And the best part is no one will ever flame you for posting in the wrong place.

As to the question, no, it really doesn't matter what games you play. But you need a bankroll to "safely" play in those games, about $2k for 3-6 FL and about $4k for 1-2 NL. And that's IFF you are a winning player.

So the first question you have to ask yourself is, "am I a winning player?" How do you know? It would take years and years of B&M play to truly know this. How much experience do you have?

If you aren't rolled for the games and you don't know that you are a winning player, then BR management is not important for you. Basically you are taking small shots hoping for a big score (which in these games is probably a couple hundred bucks). That's all well and good, but don't confuse it with grinding to "build a roll". Both 3-6 FL and 1-2 NL are beatable.

My advice would be to focus on your game, and have fun. Personally, I find it easer to plug leaks and progress my game when I am focusing on just one game. Everyone's different though, so your YMMV.
Closed Thread