Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

View Poll Results: family support
I have enthusiastic support of my family regarding playing poker for an income 24 23.76%
I have lukewarm support from my family regarding playing poker for an income 36 35.64%
my family would prefer that I did something else for my income but let's me make my choices 35 34.65%
I am in a battle with my family over this career choice 6 5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 PM

Default pictures of girls in threads

I think we should have a discussion about just this topic. In my kidshtter thread, Mike Haven deleted the pics of the girl and sent the thread back. He gave me a satisfactory explanation of people in the poker world perhaps knowing this girl, and it didn't bother me too much.

However, in the future if I post more trip reports (and I will), am I allowed to post rehosted pictures of girls or other people who aren't aware their pic is being posted in the internet?

Is this something only mods aren't allowed to do?

I'm not going to be too torn up if the decision is made that we can't, but I have the opinion that it should be allowed and is fine as long as the intention isn't to trainwreck someone and trainwrecking isn't encouraged. It's a lot of fun and makes a story a lot better.

-nation
Old 08-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: pictures of girls in threads

if its your personal pic I dont see why you need permission to post it. You are allowed to do that on facebook and you can have an open profile. I just dont see any legal reasons why you shouldn't be allowed but I may be mistaken.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 PM

nation,

"satisfactory explanation of people in the poker world perhaps knowing this girl"

WTF? I don't see any reason why the pics in your thread should have been deleted and strongly disagree w/ Mike's action, regardless of whether or not the statement above is true.

I think pictures in threads like that are excellent, and frankly just about the only thing that makes them interesting.

I also think that threads like that are classless, but that's a whole different issue.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think pictures in threads like that are excellent, and frankly just about the only thing that makes them interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. The masses clamor for pics in threads about "I banged X" and spend almost as much time dissecting the pic as they do addressing the rest of the thread. However, how or if a thread like that one opens 2+2 up to liability issues relative to the content of the thread (vivid descriptions of certain nuded-up activity) is something that I have no clue about. It clearly makes those threads way more interesting.

Also, it's unclear to me - and maybe some can comment - what sort of decorum a moderator of this forum should hold himself to. For example, is nation's thread less responsible in his current role as a mod than it was before he lost that survivor to Dominic? I've already got guys like adsman PMing me like "you've changed since you became a mod, I can tell you wonder if every post you make is crossing some sort of line", and I told him WTF but he's not entirely off.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:36 PM

tug,

There's pretty much no legal liability at all.

As I said above, I think they are classless and it makes me think the poster is a sleazeball, but I don't think there's any reason for 2+2 to edit them at all unless the information is false and the person in question requests the thread be removed.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 PM

My opinion is that photos of people are fine unless they are used in a matter that would likely hurt the person. So a photo with a post that says "OMG, check out the hottie that I went on a date with" is fine in my book, but "OMG look at the chick I nailed, she sat on my face and wiggled for hours" is probably offensive to her and her reputation so therefore it shouldn't be ok unless she was in on the thread. Its really in poor taste. People in some highschools have been expelled due to this type of behavior on My Space/Face Book so there is a social precedence that there are ramifications, of course I think that goes a bit far since all we have to do is discourage this.

What if the shoe was on the other foot, where some chick you weren't proud of sleeping with made a post with photos about her sexual experience with her? Now imagine if you where the girl. Does that help see why its not so cool? i don't know, maybe its something you come to terms with as you get older... I did some pretty dumb stuff when I was 21 too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she sat on my face and wiggled for hours

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
social precedence

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 PM

I vote wiggling, anyone who votes precedence is ghay.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 PM

As you know, (from memory, without my rereading it), apart from the basic circumvention of the profanity filter by a moderator, the themed complaint in the previous discussion thread was because of the photos. No one seemed to care about the actual content, presumably owing to the general level of content in the forum to which it was posted, originally.

NT!(?) suggested sending it to Travel for you to edit out the multi-copied profanity circumventions, which seemed like a good idea to me. When you agreed by PM, I deleted the photos and shipped it, locked.

I gave my reason for deleting the very clear front face and body photograph, (and copies), of two girls, (in the context of the content of your OP), as that in this day and age, "everyone" plays poker, and, imo, there are very good odds that someone, somewhere, who knows one or both of these girls and who plays poker is highly likely to read Twoplustwo and see and recognise them, with embarrassing, (to say the least), real life consequences. (Poker is not like soccer, or baseball, or whatever, where there are many thousands of well-read forums where you could spend a lifetime browsing without bumping into someone you know. If you play poker and read associated forums you are very likely to read Twoplustwo, whoever or wherever in the entire world you are.)

I suggested that if you wanted to repost the photos during your editing, you should consider first blurring out their faces, entirely. At least there would be some arguable doubt if the girls' fathers or brothers or uncles or friends thought they recognised the girls' dresses.

Overall, my thinking on this leans towards the compassionate.

I don't think it is at all fair to post photos of someone, without their knowledge, within a thread of such graphically sexual content.

Whether or not there could be a case of libel is somewhat secondary to me owing to this, but I would imagine that it wouldn't be all that difficult to at least start a case against Twoplustwo, and cost Twoplustwo money and hassle, if such an easily identifiable person felt their reputation had been seriously damaged, say, because a high-profile employer saw the thread and fired the girl.

When there are no Rules in place, I've always thought it is reasonable to act as if the primary Rule would be, "We are all gentlemen", and I think this and other similar situations can be covered under such an umbrella with little objective argument.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's unclear to me - and maybe some can comment - what sort of decorum a moderator of this forum should hold himself to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally, the standard of behavior for mods is the same as for users. NT! rips on users all the time, but that's ok because ripping on people is standard in OOT. The only real exception is that we shouldn't abuse our mod powers: don't post people's e-mail addresses, IP addresses or user notes. Personally, I like to be a little more civil than I otherwise would in my forum, but that's up to you.